Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a beginner and a friend in another state has a Y23 he is willing to sell me. Reading the posts this seems to be a good learning model- I am not sure how much to offer him. He tells me he hasn't played it in a year but it is in good shape. I trust him on this. Is $500 in range? suggestions?

Len

PS Alto sax

·
Registered
244 Posts
Alto or tenor? If it's truly in good playing condition, and reasonable cosmetic condition, $500 is a good price for a tenor. If alto, I would say more like $400....heck, maybe even offer $350.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's a very good price if it's in good playing condition. The YAS-23 school horn I played in college was very comfortable and didn't sound terrible either. Withstood being "ridden hard and put up wet" I would describe it as very predictable (which is a complement!) but somewhat thin in the low end, but I'm a Martin player.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
$500 for an Alto OR Tenor is a good price if it is in good shape with no significant issues.

I typically sell refurbed YAS-23's for $450-500, Tenors for $575-650.

These fetch a tad more than the Vito -branded 21's...

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
YAS 23's are advertised as low as $300 where I live in Utah. The YTS-23's are much more scarce and you are lucky to get one for $600. If you buy one it would be worth your while to take it to a reputable repair shop and get an estimate for a "play condition". In my shop a P.C. for a relatively newer sax that is a good brand typically costs from $50 to $125 depending on how many pads need to be replaced, how much body dent work it needs, and how many bent or binding keys need to be addressed. If it is just a "regulate and adjust" job it can be as low as $25, but it is rare to find a sax that doesn't have other "issues" as well. Other common services include neck cork replacement, and neck tenon refitting that can add to the cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts