Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to buy a tenor sax soon, and I'm trying to find a good neck strap for it. Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Researcher
2,854 Posts
Kinda depends on what "good" means to you. Here are some possibilities:

1. Comfortable, appearance not an issue
2. Funcitional but not dorky looking (like some extremely padded straps)
3. Locking hook that won't let your sax accidenlty slip off

If you narrow your requirements, you'll get better answers. Otherwise you'll just get everybody recommending the kind of strap they have :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for te advice. I'd like it to be comfortable, and definitely keep the sax from falling. As far as dorky looking, I haven't seen any neck straps that look that bad.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I bought an S-Series padded strap, a knock-off of the Neotech but about $10 cheaper. Fine for long practice seesions but I won't wear it in performance situations since it is so bulky looking.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
1,422 Posts
How about a recommendation for a decent non-padded strap? I don't go for that look myself. :?:

·
4,842 Posts
I've played a Hyman Super Sling on alto for years and years, but I like my tenor to hang a bit lower, so I'm going to get a Brancher like the ones that Selmersaxman sells. He doesn't have the XL version in right now, though. I also need a strap short enough for my curved soprano, so I'll get one in the short length also.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
961 Posts
About a year ago, I purchased a Planet Waves adjustable strap (available from Music 123). It's a cord-type strap with an adjustment button, similar to the old Brilhart straps everyone used in the good old days :D I love it! the neck is leather (unpadded), and the adjustment button is great when you are playing sitting down, and want to stand up for a solo, for example. Just another point of view. BTW, does anyone know if they still sell the old-style Brilhart straps with the adjusting button (ivory on one side, black on the other)???

Al

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, two questions:
1) Is there much of a difference comfort-wise between the padded and nonpadded straps? (I realize this is probably a matter of opinion, but I'm curious, LOL.)

2) What difference is there between Neotech's Soft Sax Strap and their Classic Strap?

Also, some recommendations on non-padded straps would be great. Thanks!

·
2,964 Posts
the first part of my career i only played tenor and went tru a lot of neckstraps . the best non padded is the paul brodie sold by ww&brass . its perfect for heaver horns and DOSNT SLIP! its got the best slide adjustment mech i have ever seen. its also pretty cheap . check one out and you wont use any thing else.its too bad its too long for alto

·
2,118 Posts
My problem is finding a strap that easily adjusts to fit both Tenor AND Alto
(will get 'short' enough for alto without strangling me!). Been using an old. thin Hyman. Recently tried a Supersling: comfortable, but too hard to adjust, and not really short enough for my Conn 6M, which seems to have a higher-mounted hook.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
970 Posts
I've used Neotech for the last 4 or so years and like them. I don't buy the ones with the plastic clips. I get the plastic coated metal. About a year ago I saw got their new model. Looks more like a regular strap,( don't know if that's what was refered to as a "classic" strap) but still has the weight reduction system. I like it. Works on my straight soprano, alto, tenor and bari. I know some people don't like the Neotech because they say they slip. I've never noticed that problem.

The regular Neotech has a wider (2 1/4" at its widest point where it sits at the back of your neck) piece of tapered (1 3/4" at the narrowest point where the nylon straps attach on either side) neoprean which the black nylon straps attach to. The edges of the neoprean are not sewn, just cut.

The newer strap I have of theirs still has neoprean, but is only 2" wide, and is the same width all the way until the nylon straps attach. The edges of it are sewn, and overall the finishing touches are nicer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I use a NeoTech harness for tenor and bari. They're pretty good and the padding's not huge. Same for the neckstraps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RE: the Neotech harness, I read a review at wwbw that stated the clip broke after 3 years of light use. Have any of you heard of that before? It sounds like SOME of the Neotech straps have a plastic coated metal clip ... can the HARNESS be purchased with one? Also, does the harness hold the sax rather close to the body? (The pictures of it make it look closer than a normal strap would position it.) I'm looking for a new bari strap/harness.

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
970 Posts
wattog said:
RE: the Neotech harness, I read a review at wwbw that stated the clip broke after 3 years of light use. Have any of you heard of that before? It sounds like SOME of the Neotech straps have a plastic coated metal clip ... can the HARNESS be purchased with one? Also, does the harness hold the sax rather close to the body? (The pictures of it make it look closer than a normal strap would position it.) I'm looking for a new bari strap/harness.
Yes, I've heard of the clip breaking. That's one of the reasons I don't use straps with plastic hooks. I don't trust them. There is too much money hanging on a .50 piece of plastic.

I don't like the Neotech harness for exactly the reason you list: the sax is held so close to the body, that you don't have nearly the mobility with the horn that I want.

I had a harness designed by someone who used to repair parachutes for the air force. He basically crossed a Neotech harness with a regular strap. Works great. Gets the weight of the horn off my neck, and still give me the mobility I want with my horn.

·
4,842 Posts
If you get the WWBW catalog, you might want to check out a strap near the back of it. It is kind of like the DeJacques or Brancher with the double loop, but the hook is a very cool vinyl covered corkscrew type that doesn't look like it could come unhooked by accident. I may try one.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My favorite so far is the Oleg neck strap. Works great for tenor and alto. I have a Dejaques that I think is a touch more comfy, but I don't like the metal rubbing away my strap ring.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Anyone tried the Codera Vario Clip:

http://www.codera.com/products/varioclip.html

One of the configurations has a double botton so that you can have both a
short hook and a long hook, letting you have an alto and a tenor setting
both on the same neck strap.

Seems like a cool idea but would be curious how well made they are and
if the doubler strap works right.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts