Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a Keilwerth soprano off one of the members of this site, and am looking for mouthpiece recommendations.

Somewhere Dave Liebman has written and said something about how middle-of-the range, non extreme mouthpieces are best - he gives examples of a number of tenor players with very individual sounds who all played Links with narrow to medium tip openings.

So I'm thinking along these lines when looking for a soprano mouthpiece. If it makes any difference I like using 5 openings on alto (either Meyerish or Selmer-soloistish type pieces) and I like my metal Robusto 7* on tenor.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice.

All the best,

Alistair

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Actually, I just went ahead and ordered a Gaia 2 with a 6 opening for this. I really like Garbarek's sound on Theo Wanne's video about this mouthpiece, and think Steve Neff sounds great on the Gaia 2 in his review. Fingers crossed it's a good match for this Keilwerth.

(not that I'm expecting it to make me sound like the two musicians above, of course). :bluewink:

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I use a Lamberson Fma7 with about a .063" opening on my Couf Superba. I also have a Gaia 8 and a Selmer C# Short Shank Soloist. I find the Gaia to be brighter and more free blowing, and the C# to not have the volume and as big a sound as the others. I've played the Lamberson for 10 years so I'm probably just used to it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts