Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a good metal mouthpiece for alto sax that is not too edgy, and around the $100 range. Something like this but cheaper:
http://www.wwbw.com/Meyer-Metal-Jazz-Alto-Saxophone-Mouthpiece-465055-i1418861.wwbw

And yes, I know most people don't play on metal mouthpieces for alto, but I'd like to try it anyways. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to spend, I know it may be impossible to find metal mouthpieces under $100 (as I'm sure you all thought when you read the topic title), but any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Try bidding on a metal Meyer or a metal Otto Link on Ebay. You can buy them for less than $100 as the both mpcs are unpopular.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sonny Stitt played a Metal Otto Link for part of his career...I couldn't tell until I looked up his setup.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,573 Posts
Welcome to the forum Knifeslinger.

If the budget is that tight, I would recommend going to a shop and trying out as many as you can before you order something you may not even like. Some on-line order stores like WWBW have a program where you can play test 3-4 pieces at a time and keep the one you like. If you do something like this, check to be sure all the mouthpieces will be shipped on the same day (search for WWBW on the forum, and you will see they have A LOT of issues with updating "in-stock" items).

What is your set-up right now? Are you a beginner? Would it kill you to play your current piece for a while longer while you save up a few bucks to open your options?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
The obvious question would be why does it have to be a metal mouthpiece ? But I guess that the answer would be that you want something that it is cool looking.
You can find things for not so much money here on this site but also on craiglist but buying a mouthpiece on line is always a gamble unless you know that particular type and size will please you (and even so it could sound very different than the one that you have previously tried out) you will be guessing.
there are a few here
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?151817-Alto-Meyer-7J-Metal-Mouthpiece
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?153140-FS-lots-of-alto-mpcs&highlight=metal+alto
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...a-Metal-Alto-Moutpiece-7&highlight=metal+alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
Ok, this is funny. Metal Link unpopular?

I learn something new everyday on this forum. [rolleyes]
Metal ALTO (which is what the OP was asking ) Links are not exactly as popular as the ubiquitous TENOR

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
I have never found a good metal mouthpiece for alto. Closest is the Selmer Metal Jazz model. If you want bright, go for a Rico Metalite under $30.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,913 Posts
I have never found a good metal mouthpiece for alto. Closest is the Selmer Metal Jazz model. If you want bright, go for a Rico Metalite under $30.
They are good for the money, but despite the name they are not actually made from metal (or do they do metal ones?). I think the OP wants a metal mouthpiece.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Welcome to the forum Knifeslinger.

If the budget is that tight, I would recommend going to a shop and trying out as many as you can before you order something you may not even like. Some on-line order stores like WWBW have a program where you can play test 3-4 pieces at a time and keep the one you like. If you do something like this, check to be sure all the mouthpieces will be shipped on the same day (search for WWBW on the forum, and you will see they have A LOT of issues with updating "in-stock" items).

What is your set-up right now? Are you a beginner? Would it kill you to play your current piece for a while longer while you save up a few bucks to open your options?
I've been playing sax for 7 years now, the last 3 years I've been on bari. I'm looking to get my alto fixed up and playable as I'm a senior in high school right now and won't be able to use the school's bari for much longer, so I need a sax to play for the summer at least until jazz band in college. I may be stuck playing alto in college as well. I consider myself a high level player (for high school at least) but my main interest is jazz. I want a metal mouthpiece for a little bit of an edge and a more jazzy tone, but not something that is bright sounding. My alto is a Yamaha YAS-23 (pretty sucky, I know). I can't really afford to buy a new sax seeing as I'm not going to be a music major or anything lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
28,913 Posts
I want a metal mouthpiece for a little bit of an edge and a more jazzy tone, but not something that is bright sounding.
If you don't want it for edge and jazzy tone, not the looks of metal, why limit yourself to metal?

BTW, are you aware that metal mouthpieces don't give you edge or a jazzy tone?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you don't want it for edge and jazzy tone, not the looks of metal, why limit yourself to metal?

BTW, are you aware that metal mouthpieces don't give you edge or a jazzy tone?
Just curious. It's either that or get a hard rubber one, and I like hard rubber mouthpieces and I've been playing one on bari, but from my experience it's a bit dark sounding. Idk.

·
28,913 Posts
Sorry for the double post, if I were to get this what size would you recommend (based on the information in the above post)?
I can't recommend what is the best size for you, but if it was me I'd get a 6 or maybe 7

·
28,913 Posts
Just curious. It's either that or get a hard rubber one, and I like hard rubber mouthpieces and I've been playing one on bari, but from my experience it's a bit dark sounding. Idk.
So in that case you could get a less dark sounding HR, ie one that you like the sound of when you play it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts