Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My no-name bari mouthpiece has a barrel diameter of 33mm (1.3 inches) more or less. I'm looking for a second ligature for it and so far haven't found one that's big enough. Diameters are typically not mentioned in ligature descriptions, it seems. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,566 Posts
A Selmer should fit your mouthpieceI have one which is 33mm above and 35mm below when expanded (your mouthpiece, I suppose, would be conical)

So It should tighten well around your mouthpiece.

You should be able to buy this new for not too much money from Thomann for example. I am afraid that sending in a parcel (even small) it from the NL would cost more in postage than it would be making sense to you and the only other practical way is to open the ligature and flatten it onto a piece of carton to send it in an envelope with normal postage, when your receive it, then you make it round again around your mouthpiece.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Rovner's HR Bari ligatures are pretty large. I believe the Rovner Dark one is number 3R.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. It's amazing that specs for such a significant dimension are so hard to find for both ligatures and mouthpieces. No wonder there are so many posts here asking "will this fit that?" Surely it's an under-appreciated merit of shoelaces, duct tape, adhesive bandages and spring clamps that as ligatures they're a universal fit (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghMCiV8hTg).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. It's amazing that specs for such a significant dimension are so hard to find for both ligatures and mouthpieces. No wonder there are so many posts here asking "will this fit that?" Surely it's an under-appreciated merit of shoelaces, duct tape, adhesive bandages and spring clamps that as ligatures they're a universal fit (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ghMCiV8hTg).
I have a Runyon metal bari piece that ended up using a Rovner sized for a German clarinet piece, that one was hard to find a fit for. I keep a couple Claude Lakey compass ligatures around just for odd fits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,566 Posts
I am sure that you can find some tie wraps laying about ( literally on the pavement) which will do the job just fine but if you want a proper ligature there are many options too in any shop where there is a drawer full of mouthpieces and stuff like that.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
I recommend the Rovner Bari Sax LG-3R. It is a legacy ligature that has a riveted winged metal plate that cradles the reed in place as well as other metal fittings that are designed to be permanently attached to the cloth-like material that Rovner uses as well as their familiar set screw mechanism. It is large enough to actually fit bass clarinet mouthpieces as well.

My no-name bari mouthpiece has a barrel diameter of 33mm (1.3 inches) more or less. I'm looking for a second ligature for it and so far haven't found one that's big enough. Diameters are typically not mentioned in ligature descriptions, it seems. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
exactly and to the point of not only having a perfectly fitting ligature but if you're using cane reed, the variances in the cut of the reed stock varies considerably, thickness and unevenness of sides etc. A good ligature can be adapted to fitting almost anything that the traditional 2 screw cannot.

·
Registered
682 Posts
exactly and to the point of not only having a perfectly fitting ligature but if you're using cane reed, the variances in the cut of the reed stock varies considerably, thickness and unevenness of sides etc. A good ligature can be adapted to fitting almost anything that the traditional 2 screw cannot.
It becomes very evident if you switch between cane and synthetic reeds. Those vary quite a bit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Would the Francois Louis baritone saxophone size lig work? I bought one but it was WAY too big for the HR Otto Link but it fits nicely on my Penzel Mueller bass clarinet mouthpiece, which is pretty chunky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts