Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to be in LA for a few weeks and could use a good repair guy. I play a conn 30m so someone with experience and ideally no attitude problems.

I've used Horn Connection before with varying results. He can get the job done but is notorious for his attitude and demeanor. I'm fine using the guy but anywhere else? Somewhere I don't need to leave the horn overnight and does repairs on the spot.

Baxter Northup I remember being solid but is this still the case?

Thanks! Last threads I saw on the issue are about 3-4years old.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I believe the Baxter Northrup guy's name is Adam, he's made some quick adjustments on my King tenor before for free and I think he's there every day. I'd call first. Manny at Horn Connection is a bit harsh to deal with if he's not in the right mood (or he spies an Asian horn in your case), so I've shied away from his shop since. The only other spot I've been to is quite a ways south, Horn Improvement in orange county, top notch pro shop and Micah is nice and super knowledgable, though not sure if they do drop ins. I'm sure you could arrange something in advance if the tech knows when you're coming by. I can ask a few other people if you can specify what part of "town" you'll be in... ;)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot! The issue in having seems to be minor g# pinky key spring tension that needs some adjusting... Not closing the pad all the way when deactivated. My NYC tech assured me I could do this myself, but good to keep tabs on what's good in LA.

Yeah, HC has good stuff and manny is a good tech but his attitude is really well known and I think has screwed his business over a bit. Last time I was there with my 30m he goes "why did you get this instead of 10m? Same damn horn but more complicated".... Well as an owner and PLAYER of both a 30m and a 10m I can assure him he's mistaken.

·
Registered
679 Posts
When will you be in town? I plan to drop off my horn at Baxter Northrup next week for an adjustment, and can update this thread afterward.

According to their site, the current owner has been running the place for over 25 years, and their repair guys have 30+ years of experience. That's gotta mean something. http://baxternorthup.tumblr.com/bnstaff

·
Registered
647 Posts

There's that place directly across the street from AFM #47 on Vine @ Beverly. Sorry, can't remember their name but they were very good and a quick turn-around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,437 Posts
That would be Stein's On Vine (across from the musician's union). I don't have personal experience with that store other than to drop in one day several years ago.

There is a small chain of stores around SoCal called Nick Rail Music - they recently relocated their Santa Clarita store to a strip mall in Valencia and built in a full repair shop. The guy who works in the shop (Jim) is a great guy and has done work on my horns - very neat, too.

Baxter-Northup is a fine shop but I don't know their repair man. You'd probably have to leave your horn with them, but I could be wrong. Best to call Steve there and ask. And as I recall, Steve (in the retail part of the store MAY be able to help in an emergency).

There is a small repair shop in the Valencia Industrial Center called Anbrass. They've done some minor repairs on my horns, too - a pad here and there and neck corks. I have the impression they do mostly brass, but like I said, they've done things for me. DAVE

·
Registered
647 Posts
That would be Stein's On Vine (across from the musician's union)
Yes, that's the name. A few years ago I dropped a C-flute off for overhaul and it was ready less than 2 weeks later, in fine shape.

There is a small chain of stores around SoCal called Nick Rail Music
They're a good resource. Never had any horns worked on, but I recently bought MP pads there for a couple bucks cheaper than the same product at WW&BW.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just stopped by Sam Ash on sunset... excelllllllent selection, great repair people, sales people. Really surprised... they have 3 30m's, a bass sax and a solid selection of the usual sam ash theo wanne/jody jazz/klum/etc pieces but have a nice small collection of used pieces. highly recommended!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
alto: 82Zii/Medusa/Supreme, tenor: Medusa, bari: b-901, sop, sc-990
7,545 Posts
I believe the Baxter Northrup guy's name is Adam, he's made some quick adjustments on my King tenor before for free and I think he's there every day.…
You're thinking of Steve who is there every day. Ross is their main sax tech and he's fantastic… fast and reasonable prices too. He's not there every day so call Steve to see about schedule.

By the way, the spelling is: Baxter Northup (not Northrup).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,437 Posts
Rheuben Allen is among the best there are. He's done two saxophones for me and worked on a bunch more. I didn't know he was back in the repair business, though . . . the last time I saw him was at a NAMM show a few years ago where he was selling his own Hollywood Winds imports and the Kenny G soprano from China.

I knew him when he was in North Hollywood (two different locations), then in the Musician's Union Building on Vine. So if you know, PM me the contact info, please. DAVE

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow, thanks Doron and sksaxgirl! good to hear of new suggestions.

however, I am kind of done with horn connection. manny does a good job when he chooses to like you or if you're "worth his time". He's done some OK work for me in the past but my tolerance for "Jazz Nazi-ism" isn't as high as it used to be. I really root for Manny's shop to stick around and improve, I really do... I'll definitely swing by when I'm in town (can't help myself) however I'm pretty tired with the shtick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts