Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I've taken an interest in jazz and have been working on it with my private lessons teacher. He's says I'm a natural and we are currently working on Anthropology by Charlie Parker. But I'm wondering, what are some fun and good sounding jazz songs that I can easily get for FREE on the internet. I play alto sax.
Thanks and Have A Nice Day

~:treble:Josh:treble:~

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
There are so many it is impossible to know where to start.

Antonio Carlos Jobim has written some lovely interesting melodies
that are nice to play on sax.

Thumb through a Real Book for ideas.

Get a Jamey Aebersold CD of standards.

My experience of music on the internet is that often if it is free,
then it is also usually inaccurate.

It is a good idea to learn tunes by ear, but that can be difficult
if you do not know how the tune goes to begin with. However
there is a ton of material on Youtube that you can listen to and
try to learn by ear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are some of my personal favorites

"Satin Doll" by Duke Ellington
"Take the A Train" by Duke Ellington
"Autumn Leaves" by Miles Davis and Cannonball Adderly
"Moanin" by Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers

These are just reccommendations to learn, I don't know where to get music for them

·
Registered
299 Posts
+1 on the Jamey Aebersold books. For $15 you can have a great rhythm section to practice with and the correct melody and chord changes.

Also, big +1 on learning the tunes by ear and getting together with a live rhythm section to jam....

·
Registered
883 Posts
the tunes like anthropology and other bebop tunes were written over chord ganges from songs of the american songbook. These tunes are real easy to play by ear.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,922 Posts
the tunes like anthropology and other bebop tunes were written over chord ganges from songs of the american songbook. These tunes are real easy to play by ear.
I remember when I was just starting out, I found such tunes very difficult to play by ear, however if the OP is a natural as mentioned, then maybe you have a point and it should be a bit easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks I have improved so much more now and have found many new things to play. As suggested I tried learning things by ear and it was pretty easy!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Don't forget the blues. A big part of jazz. Since you mentioned Charlie Parker check out: Now's the Time, Billie's Bounce, KC Blues, Au Privave, Back Home Blues, Mohawk, Cheryl, Relaxin' at Camarillo, Perhaps, Buzzy, Si Si, Blues For Alice, Bloomdido, etc., etc.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts