Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked over multiple times in the past, however I am completely new to the topic and so don't really know exactly what I am/should be looking for in a good clip on mic.

All I'm really looking for is something that is relatively good, reliable, light clip on for live performance that hopefully doesn't break the bank too much. I know that there are wireless and wired microphones, of which I'm not sure which I should be looking at. I play an alto in case thats at all important. Sorry to bother anyone who has been asked this question in the past, but would love any suggestions or pointers that anyone might have. Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,780 Posts
I have an older AKG condenser microphone which is essentially the same as the new ones. The wireless versions ones are more expensive but unless you are really into these things I’d stick to a wired one. I had a dynamic one from SD systems which, to me, performed worse than this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,780 Posts
if the frequency under which you operate is illegal it will be risky to operate at least this is the stance in the NL. The postal police will certainly check things and fine the abusers.
Is it worth taking the risk? I’d buy a wired mike or otherwise one operating on a legal frequency

Read this

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-divisions/mobility-division/wireless-microphones
https://www.audiolinks.com/blog/fcc-bans-wireless-mic-use-in-the-700-mhz-band/

“..Possible penalties for operating in the forbidden frequency range include equipment confiscations and large fines – potentially in the $10,000 range.

Although the chances of getting caught could be slim, the potential for financial liability is such that many users are ditching their old mics in favor of new, FCC compliant systems..."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,962 Posts
All I'm really looking for is something that is relatively good, reliable, light clip on for live performance that hopefully doesn't break the bank too much.
Well, it's more than a microphone. You need a receiver of some sort, wired or wireless. Wireless is where you get into the higher costs, and you really can't go cheap with such a system. Your soundman will hate you.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
if the frequency under which you operate is illegal it will be risky to operate at least this is the stance in the NL. The postal police will certainly check things and fine the abusers.
Is it worth taking the risk? I’d buy a wired mike or otherwise one operating on a legal frequency.
Well yes, I was recommending the legal version, pointing out the self contained transmitter. In fact, I don't recall using it other than to test its functionality. Another bit of gear that came to me from the late Jay Corre.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Anyone using one of these? I have a Pro37R lipstick condenser that sounds quite nice. looks like this is the clip-on version of that... Hmm....
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...NqwQZltRIRnpj2Y9dwvwFq0fpKKi4X-MaAm4lEALw_wcB
How does it compare to the Shure PGA98H or WB98H/C? Has anybody compared those? I am using a WB98H/C and it sounds pretty good but I have a Sterling condensor (vocals) mic that sounds way better (but of course you can't mount it on the horn)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,352 Posts
The OP really only asked for a recommendation for a clip on microphone. Everyone else jumped in on the wireless version. There are many non wireless clip ons available at varying price points. I guess the most productive question to ask would be what is your budget?

That would give us a good starting point to be able to recommend something with out us mentioning a bunch of stuff that is out of your price range.

Milandro's suggestion of the AKG clip on is a good one. Our high school band used them, as I understand the tower of power guys were using or are still using the AKG microphone's for many years now.

My friend also has a fairly cheap audio technica mic that sounds pretty good.

Basically around $150.

I use a Shure Beta 98 which is very nice. The wired version runs about $200

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have a look at a Samson Airline 77. It's relatively inexpensive, simple, and it has all you need to do a gig. I use it and have no issues. Just make sure that if someone else you gig with has one, you get a different channel than theirs. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Have a look at a Samson Airline 77. It's relatively inexpensive, simple, and it has all you need to do a gig. I use it and have no issues. Just make sure that if someone else you gig with has one, you get a different channel than theirs. Good luck!
I recommend the next model up, the Samson AWX Wind Instrument wireless mic system. I got that model, based on generally good reviews and improvements over the Airline 77.

http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/wireless-systems/airline-atx/airline-awx/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,962 Posts
The OP really only asked for a recommendation for a clip on microphone. Everyone else jumped in on the wireless version.
Not everyone. I tried to clarify the issue, as I'm not sure the OP is familiar with how clip-ons operate; wired or wireless. My point being that if it was in fact a wireless setup he wanted, you really can't go cheap to do so. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My point being that if it was in fact a wireless setup he wanted, you really can't go cheap to do so.
I am not entirely sure about that.
It is in Europe but:
http://www.thomann.de/nl/the_tbone_ovid_system_cc_100.htm

I use this cheap T-bone CC 100 clip on mic and transmitter on all my gigs and it works flawlessy.
Okay I admitt if you need it for a quiet concert a discerning listener and player might hear some differences.
So far I do not (but that probably tells you more about me).
Anyway for the money you can not go wrong if you look for a low cost solution. Btw this system
is built around the old Electret clip on mic system that had a good reputation.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Not everyone. I tried to clarify the issue, as I'm not sure the OP is familiar with how clip-ons operate; wired or wireless. My point being that if it was in fact a wireless setup he wanted, you really can't go cheap to do so. Been there, done that.

Yup, it's almost like one of those; good sounding, reliable, inexpensive - pick 2, situations.

The other joker in that deck is most of the clip-on mics are condensers so they require phantom power or some sort of pre-amp which can be a PITA. My girlfriend got me a Beta 98 as a birthday present many years ago and I found it wasn't near as handy as I thought it would be. Along with the Beta 98 I have a K&K Sliver Bullet, which is nice because it came with the little pre-amp box needed for the mic, but I still find a simple relatively inexpensive dynamic stand mic more flexible and useful. I usually suggest to folks who start asking about clip-on mics that they begin with a reasonable dynamic from Shure, Heil, Sennheiser, EV, etc.. if they don't already own a mic like that.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Yup, it's almost like one of those; good sounding, reliable, inexpensive - pick 2, situations.

The other joker in that deck is most of the clip-on mics are condensers so they require phantom power or some sort of pre-amp which can be a PITA. My girlfriend got me a Beta 98 as a birthday present many years ago and I found it wasn't near as handy as I thought it would be. Along with the Beta 98 I have a K&K Sliver Bullet, which is nice because it came with the little pre-amp box needed for the mic, but I still find a simple relatively inexpensive dynamic stand mic more flexible and useful. I usually suggest to folks who start asking about clip-on mics that they begin with a reasonable dynamic from Shure, Heil, Sennheiser, EV, etc.. if they don't already own a mic like that.
FWIW, 99% of boards have 48v phantom power, or for about 25 dollars you can buy something that fits in your palm for your own phantom power.

Yep, a nice mic stand is great. BTW, isn't a goose neck type best for we sax players (vs. standard boom plus extensions)?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,352 Posts
I've never had an issue needing phantom power for a phantom powered mic except for when you want to plug it into some pedals. This can be an issue.

Now the wireless thing comes up. If you want built in phantom power that is definitely a bonus as well as a line or xlr out to an FX processor. Now this becomes an issue. In the case of the Shure wireless (and I'm sure others?) you have a gain knob accessible to you as well as the outputs.

An option for using a non wireless, phantom powered mic would be having a small mixer in your signal chain.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
For live performances and digital recordings, I use an old wired ATM-350. It takes phantom power, which is supplied through either a TC Helicon box, a small Samson S-mix unit, or a stand-alone 9V phantom power box. I got everything except the Samson second-hand.

The ATM sounds great for my purposes--really adds depth and brings out the edge on recordings.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Cheap clip on only: AT35
Cheap wireless system: Samson Airline
Reasonable but good wireless system: Shure Beta 98 / PG (Under $500)

Things only get more expensive beyond that. The Beta 98 setup reproduces your sax sound well in a variety of venues. I’ve tried several different systems and always end up back on the Shure. I expect you can buy better, but in 99% of rooms, I don’t think you’d be able to tell. I think one of the reasons I’m partial to them is because All FOH engineers have some familiarity with them...

In the end, once it leaves your sax, it’s in someone else’s hands. I figure using an industry standard increases your chances somewhat. Lately I’ve been a bit disgusted with live sound in general, but I’m sure that will change. Speakers, amps, and mixer technology has really improved in recent years. I’m sure the technicians will catch up someday soon....

I remember being on a gig in the early 80’s that was sponsored by Bose. It was a mid sized theater type room, but they had roughly 100 - 12’ cube speakers per side, creating a true “wall of sound”, and a dozen Bose engineers and techs running it. Amazing. Say what you will about Bose, but that was one really nice sounding setup.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts