Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In light of several recent negative threads on mouthpiece refacers and sellers, I thought that it would be a good idea to start a positive thread. If you had a good experience with a refacer/maker/boutique seller, please post about it here.

I've bought two alto mouthpieces from Phil-tone and a bari piece from Eric Grieffenhagen. I received all three in the quoted time frame (about two weeks), prices were reasonable and I was more than satisfied with the results.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I've dealt with Mojo, Joe Giardullo, JunkDude, and Phil-Tone, for re-facing and straight buys. All friendly, all efficient, and all excellent products. DAVE

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
I've had excellent results from Ed Zentera (EZ) and Keith Bradshaw (MojoBari).

·
Registered
847 Posts
Morgan Fry , in past, and Phil-Tone , more recently ,have responded professionally and quickly to my enquiries, and delivered pieces in reasonable time , exactly to specifications agreed- No issues at all, thoroughly recommend them- Great craftsmen ...............

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,068 Posts
Just got a piece from Matt Marantz and also had him reface and open up two vintage rubber pieces of mine. The work on all the pieces is excellent, he's a great guy to work with, and honestly he might be one of the best players on the planet right now. He's getting very busy and for good reason, but he'll always shoot straight with you.

·
Registered
537 Posts
+1 for Morgan Fry. Just bought back a piece I had him reface and then foolishly sold. A superb craftsman.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The contacts in my email rolodex as it were are:

Matt Marantz
Sakshama
Jimmy Jensen
Joe Giardullo
Vytas Krass
John Thomas
Phil Engleman

For me, it's the balance of craft and of the interpersonal dynamic between myself and the mouthpiece maker/refacer.

*Some of the other (not listed above) makers/refacers I have not worked with....others I have had terrible interactions with and have received some very poor work*

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,010 Posts
Phil at Phil-Tone, Ron at RPC, Phil Barone, and Mark at 10mfan - all great to deal with and all produce great products.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Greg Wier; great guy, great mouthpiece maker. And Joel at Retro Revival, makes great pieces, very personally responsive.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
I already gave kudos to Erik Greiffenhagen in a previous thread. The other refacer that I have had excellent experience and excellent response time from is Greg Wier (gwindplayer). Both corresponded well, we’re prompt and supplied great refaces.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
A few years back I put through an online order for a RPC 110B bari piece. About 5 minutes after I placed my order, my phone rings and it's Ron! He wanted to make sure he dialed in the piece exactly how I wanted. We ended up having a 30 minute conversation about music and sax related stuff. He's quite a character! If that's not great customer service, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have had great dealings with Mark Sepinuck (10mfan). He is extremely personable and easy to communicate with and really goes out of his way to make sure that you end up with something that you are happy with! There is a reason that he was so successful selling vintage mouthpieces, and now extremely successful with his own line of pieces. Would reccomend dealing with Mark 100%!!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Just got a piece from Matt Marantz and also had him reface and open up two vintage rubber pieces of mine. The work on all the pieces is excellent, he's a great guy to work with, and honestly he might be one of the best players on the planet right now. He's getting very busy and for good reason, but he'll always shoot straight with you.
I've dealt with Mojo, Joe Giardullo, JunkDude, and Phil-Tone, for re-facing and straight buys. All friendly, all efficient, and all excellent products. DAVE
Small world I guess. I'm +1 on all of the above.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
+1 on this. Matt is my go-to refacer. His work is incredibly meticulous, and he's absolutely transparent about his timelines (he is very busy because he splits his time between playing music, as a recording engineer, and as a mouthpiece craftsman/refacer). I've also had highly positive experiences with Sakshama and Phil Engleman.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Sebastian Knox: to me, in all related matters – communication (both general correspondence and listening to player's wants); time to completion; price; quality of work – he rates 10 out of 10.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts