Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
He basically has a ton of research ahead of him. I am talking at least twenty hours of school/professor searching. Considering it is composition I can see it being a lot more like fifty hours. At that level the student really needs to find the right teacher/s.
And then money is an entirely different issue that needs to be added to the equation.
People may of course have some suggestions, but there is likely a long road of research ahead.
I wish him good luck!

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I meant research exactly as Dr. G described. As you stated Gary, we would need an idea of what his son wants to study. At this point he NEEDS to focus on a specific type of music. Cool, yeah, it is hip to say, "there are only two types of music, good and bad" (Miles Davis). At this point if someone wants to offer real recommendations, they need to have real information. Throwing out Juilliard, Eastman, or NYU is really not helpful suggestions at this point. Due to the amount of mentoring and 1 on 1 time a student gets with a graduate degree, they NEED to put in the time and research finding the school, city, program, teacher they really match with.
This is a long and hard process. When I earned my DMA there were only nine schools that offered a DMA in jazz, and I still put about twenty five hours into the research.
I am sure many of us here want to help. We need something to go off of. For composition in particular, Gary would be a great resource. We just need more info and your son needs to do more research.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts