Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son just got his masters in music comp at Louisville. He is looking to continue his studies and getting his DMA in Comp. Can any of you recommend schools he should apply to? Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He hates putting music into a category (Jazz, Rock, etc). To him, it's just music--all different. Another thing--he has dysgraphia. He could sit in a room and write music for a week, but writing an essay is tough for him. He's 25 yrs old, and writes mostly what I would consider classical music. I've heard a couple of pieces he wrote for a string quartet. They were really good too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way, he got his master's from Louisville. To give you an idea of his writing, he's been to June in Buffalo. He was the only undergrad accepted. He likes to write classical most, although he's never played a string instrument, and played piano for only the 4 semesters required.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A little more about him--He got his Masters in Music Comp at Louisville. He was selected to go to June in Buffalo (some composers should know about this), only 1 of 22 people, and the only undergrad. He enjoys writing classical music, and can sit and write for hours on end. Some of his best pieces have been for string quartets and entire symphonies/orchestras. The other thing, if you like music or like chess, you'll get along with him. He also likes to camp in a hammock out in the mountains. Says it relaxes him.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gary--at North Texas State--did you know Lynn Seaton, a professor there that played standup bass. He was also a hell of a guitar player, but professor in bass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts