Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Is 2k a good deal on a 2009 82Z custom tenor? It’s the first generation with the G1 neck, and in good overall shape. It looks slightly aged as a lot of the lacquer has came off...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,789 Posts
how good is a deal depens much on you and local situation, the price varies and the availability varies too.

What is a good deal in Europe may be an excellent deal in Singapore and a poor one in Japan. You are really the most qualified to judge if the sax is a good deal.

In Europe this would be an excellent deal if one is looking for this model but we pay a lot for Japanese saxophones when new. However there aren’t too many people buying a new one because at the price of a new one such horn you can find great deals on very coveted brands.

·
Registered
813 Posts
There are some things in life that don’t have to be, or shouldn’t be, a ‘good deal’.
The example I always use is a tattoo.
Do you want a good deal or a good tattoo?

Don’t get me wrong. A good deal on a sax is awesome, but to me finding the sax of your dreams And regretting not having it trumps a good deal any day.
Unless. You are concerned width making money on saxes, which is a different objective.

·
Registered
530 Posts
As long as there isn't any serious damage or major issues, yes, that's a good deal for a great sax. Try it - if it plays well and you like it, buy it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
2,107 Posts
There is a lot of finish wear on that neck, it would almost have to be intentional. Definitely worth a try and there are a lot of great Yamaha necks you could swap on if need be.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It's an ok deal, not a good deal for a 10-year-old 82Z that actually shows its age (if it does not in fact look older than its age). 82Z's don't get the benefit of the "vintage bump" to overcome the poorish lacquer condition. You say it's in good overall shape, but have you seen the shape of the pads (those photos don't show the pads)? Those could turn this deal from an ok one to a bad one, depending on what shape they're in.

For me, when it comes to used horns, what determines whether it's a bad, ok, good or great deal is what the overall cost will be (including repair costs) compared to what I would get for it assuming I needed to resell it somewhere down the line (would I lose money, break even, sell it for more).

"Is it worth it?" is a different question from "Is it a good deal?"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,125 Posts
Maybe somebody removed the lacquer from the neck?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It's a good deal if you play it first and it works for you. As mentioned above be prepared to pay for a tech to either a minor adjustment or a more major one depending on how the pads look.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
Its very likely that if you paid 2k for this horn, it would be fairly easy to sell for that same amount if you decided that you didn't like it. Many people upgrade the G1 neck to the V1 anyway. This is all assuming it is in good playing condition. It is not easy to find another at the 2k price point. Thus that makes it a good deal.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here's another way to look at it; I've never seen a Custom Z tenor for sale for under $2k. From what I can see (which, I admit, isn't a ton), the horn in the picture looks very solid and in great shape. The neck appears to be unlacquered (maybe aftermarket, maybe a stripped original) - not a big deal as long as it's not damaged. If you end up passing on the sax, please let me know where I can find it.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Someone sold a near mint YTS 62 Purple label for $1,500 in one of the FB groups last week. Unsurprisingly, it only lasted a few hours before it sold. A deal like that is what I would consider a good deal. (Maurice got his hands on it and promptly listed it for almost twice as much.)

Again, I';m not saying this is a bad deal. It';s an ok deal (assuming pads are in good order).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Based on my experience, I would say $1,500 is a good deal, too, for a near mint purple logo tenor; it's a deal I've seen several times. I've never seen a Custom Z (tenor, of course) sell for under $2k.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts