Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,216 Posts
No.

Here's the thing (and quite honestly, this isn't the first time their descriptions have had inherent contradictions). Does the horn play top to bottom...or does it need a full overhaul ? Can't be both, quite honestly. So in a situation where you have a contradictory description....you go with the worst case portion of that description.

You'll pay $1000 and it still needs a full overhaul.

Baritone overhauls are more expensive than other overhauls. Dents become less accessible and oftentimes either require removal of top or bottom bows, or very specific dent tools for Bari.

Also, it's a stencil...which doesn't particularly matter as to how the horn performs, but does matter as to its market value.

"Last one sold for $4900". Well....I seriously doubt that, as a Conn-engraved Transitional BigHorn only has a market value of about $1500 in decent, playable shape..... maybe $1800-1900 in completely overhauled shape. One with an obscure stencil name, knock $100-200 off of those values.

So...if you can find someone to fully overhaul (this means a repad plus complete cleaning, swedging, rod truing, regulation) it for around $700-800, then it'd be a ...fair...deal. You would not have gotten a steal, nor would you have gotten ripped off.

Vintage low Bb Bighorns in complete playing shape are down at around $1000-1400 these days.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-bar...207?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c612b8d57

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evette-Bari...982?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fbffa2be

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After some research I found the same, just wanted to check up with some more experienced. Thanks. I'm hoping to get a decent bari sometime soon, just looking for the right deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,216 Posts
You should be able to score a good-playing Low Bb for about what I said above. A good Low A would run about $2000-2500 these days.

If you are in no rush and can wait until mid-late January, e-mail me at [email protected]. I have several in the storage room but will not be getting to them until then.

Best of luck in your search.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not in a huge rush, cash is tight though. If I got the one from junkdude I was going to put money down to hold it, due to the fact I don't have much cash now. Thanks for your advice. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey you guys, I will let you know how it plays. I bought it and I am waiting for it to ship. I was looking for a good deal too. The thing I like about junk dude is you get a trial period. If you don't like it, you can return it within 7-10 days. It bought it because it was worth the risk even if it is a stencil horn. The tiny dents did not bother me much. I've seen much worse on ebay go for more than 1,000 which is ridiculous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts