Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure all humans have good days and bad when practicing. You know, one day you're on your way, exactly as you heard yourself in your dreams. Then, nothing is right, it's all bad (or at least compared to your ideal sound, intonation, phrasing, facility). For us beginners, kt's largely a matter of squeaks, intonation and bad slurs.

So: If it's not going well do you stop and come back later or another day, or power through it, trying to adjust and work differently?

I want to do the two hours regardless. If Im having a problem, I go back to long notes and problem areas, then scales, etc. On good days, I probably riff too much and neglect the study aspect, especially the long notes.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I keep going even if things aren't working out. I'll slow everything down and work through the more minute details that I probably should be doing anyway. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think I heard Dave Liebman say once in a masterclass that 'there is no good nor bad practicing session, there is just practice. It is what it is.' (maybe paraphrasing a little)

Not being on his level of wisdom about sax practice, there are still practice sessions that I deem an absolute horror.
Even if it is not as pleasant as usual, I still keep at it in a 'normal' way, except that I add the extra effort to understand why it is really tough in that session (usually because I am all stressed out after a long working day) and try to make that a self-teaching moment.

The idea being obviously to make the best of it anyways, and sometimes to revert to a good moment.
I had some 'victories' that way... I can't say it is the usual though.

But what I got out of it is that I give myself a good 10 minutes of relaxing/meditating before any session. At least some stress gets out of the way !
And to be honest, it doesn't happen that much either...

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,215 Posts
Good days are the result of bad days.
Bad days make us think. Why was today bad? What caused the bad? What can I try to prevent it in the future?
We experiment with reed placement, shaping the oral cavity, embouchure.
We slow down and revisit the basics. And guess what, tomorrow or the day after is a good day. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good days are the result of bad days.
Bad days make us think. Why was today bad? What caused the bad? What can I try to prevent it in the future?
We experiment with reed placement, shaping the oral cavity, embouchure.
We slow down and revisit the basics. And guess what, tomorrow or the day after is a good day. :)
As usual, Mom, your wisdom is appreciated, as is for all the opinions expressed here. This seems to be the only time I've seen everyone in agreement.
Unless someone jumps in and says, "Fools! Everyone knows you stop when it sucks, put the horn in its case and go out for a walk!"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,950 Posts
Sometimes you just need to sit back and say, well I suck today. Out loud. Just let it out. Then I say to myself try something different. Close your eyes and imagine what it’s like when everything is good or how it feels when right. Think like the ball hitting the bat or tennis racquet. How does it feel when it connects just right. Relax, play, but keep it fun. Don’t beat yourself up. I never walk away from any challenge. Fool, no walking🤪
Best to you,
PS🐷

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If Im having a problem, I go back to long notes and problem areas, then scales, etc. On good days, I probably riff too much and neglect the study aspect, especially the long notes.
Funny, I'm the reverse. A normal practice session, for me, requires a lot to brain juice. If the resources can't be found, I'll spend the whole session just playing stuff I know and mucking about... Which has value as well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My practice consists of playing slow ballad tunes with technical stuff in between tunes. If I get frustrated, I take a walk. Mostly frustration comes from my reeds. Yesterday it was so bad, I put the sax down and worked on violin instead.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts