Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lesson teacher tells me a good clasical embouchure is very open and relaxed in the throat and jaw, and very round, while having your lower lip curled in your mouth. I had no problem doing this before, and had a very very good classical sound. But all of a sudden, I started puffing my cheeks, and everything has gone downhill. It's getting to the point where the uper octave on my bari won't speak at all. I think it's mainly do to the fact that my airstream has lost all of its focus. How can i regain this focus in my airstream and keep my throat very open and mouth rounded? I really need help because I am desperate. Any help and advice you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated!

By the way I play alto and bari, and am having the same 'puffing' and lack of focus issue on both instruments.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Are you unable to stop your cheeks from puffing?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Perhaps you need a rest of maybe 1 week or a few days.
Then you'll start again and the mistake will be gone.
Stop to send you under pressure.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Puffing the cheeks is caused by the muscles at the corners of the mouth not being firm enough. When you make your embouchure, try to feel the knots of muscles in the corners of the mouth press against the eye teeth (canines). An exercise that can help to get the feeling of the corners of the mouth being firm is to place the tips of two pencils in the corners of the mouth and hold them parallel to the floor for as long as you can.

Tighten your corners with your lips tightly closed and try to "puff the cheeks". You can't do it (unless maybe you are related to Dizzy Gillespie). Keeping the corners firm when you form your embouchure should have no effect on keeping an open throat and a "rounded" mouth. They are not incompatible at all.

John

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a 2-week break, came back, and the problem was gone. Also, a new reed on the bari helped alot. Six month old reeds just arent doing it for me anymore lol.......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts