Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like in topic title... Does anybody know if they're filed or not? I've been searching whole reeds forum, but I didn't find anything helpful, even on gonzalez & zonda site.

TIA,
Szymon

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
They're unfiled. The more important difference is in the cut and strength. Zonda are designed to be jazz reeds and Gonzalez classical. As such the Gonzalez are about a half strength harder i.e. a 3 Zonda is like a 2.5 Gonzalez. I use Gonzalez for jazz playing so I think you should just consider them as alternative cuts. For what it's worth I would compare Zondas to Vandoren ZZs in terms of tone and Gonzalez to Alexander DCs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
JimD said:
t For what it's worth I would compare Zondas to Vandoren ZZs in terms of tone and Gonzalez to Alexander DCs.
Nah, the Gonzalez sound better than DCs (but not by much) and they cost less.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I wasn't going to make a quality judgement but I agree, Gonzalez are better than DCs and, come to that, Zondas are better than ZZs. They're similar but have more of what makes the other one what it is and the Gonzalez at least are much cheaper over here. Zondas, on the other hand, are much more expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts