Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone played any Gonzalo reeds out of Argentina ? If so ... comments ?

Anyone know where I can buy them online ?

Thanks
W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Gonzalez reeds are outstanding and very consistent. I use Gonzalez for a relatively dark sound, LaVoz for a little more brightness. They seem to blow similarly for me. Alto, tenor and clarinet Gonzos are the most consistent reeds I've played. Strangely, the LaVoz bari reeds seem to be at least as consistent as the Gonzos.

I would think they would be readily available in South America.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,368 Posts
retread said:
By the way, Zonda reeds are from the Gonzalex parent company.
www.argendonax.com.ar/index_en.asp
Yep, and I've tried both. Both were good until the third box(of each) and I don't know what happened but they went kaput. How and why they can mess up a perfectly good reed is befuddling...maybe it was a bad crop of cane, I don't know. Anyhow, I started using a Legere synthetic reed, to heck with'em.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Yes, my latest box of Gonzo (!) alto reeds really stunk too. Also, the cut on the reed tip is funky, with small divots at one side near the tip. Very frustrating. Unfortunately I'm not so happy with Legeres.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well ... that IS interesting. Anyone care to give us a comparison between the Zonda and Gonzalez reeds ?

W.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
jazzbluescat said:
Yep, and I've tried both. Both were good until the third box(of each) and I don't know what happened but they went kaput. . .
MM said:
Yes, my latest box of Gonzo (!) alto reeds really stunk too. . .
Thanks for the heads up guys.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,770 Posts
retread said:
Gonzalez reeds are outstanding and very consistent. I use Gonzalez for a relatively dark sound, LaVoz for a little more brightness. They seem to blow similarly for me. Alto, tenor and clarinet Gonzos are the most consistent reeds I've played. Strangely, the LaVoz bari reeds seem to be at least as consistent as the Gonzos.

I would think they would be readily available in South America.
What strength Gonzalez do you think is comparable to a LaVoz Medium?

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I like them a lot on clarinet. I found Zondas too dark, though.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Gonzalez are good, but I had to go 1/4 size down from my normal Javas. Definitely darker, consistency better. Alexander DCs are better IMHO.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I like the Gonzalez reeds quite a lot. Best, most consistent reeds I've found. They last well through a gig/rehearsal/practice session -- they don't get waterlogged like many others... and they last longer over the long haul, as well.

In the US, you should theoretically be able to order them through your local music store (at least any store than can order from Conn-Selmer). Given Conn-Selmer's history of delivery times, though, be prepared for a long wait. Besides WWBW, Saxquest keeps them in stock, and often ships the same day.

-DH

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I changed for vandoren ZZ and V16 2,5 to gonzales 2 1/4 on tenor a couple months ago and am still very happy. For me they last very long and have a great response for altissimo. I recommended them to some bandmates and they also like them.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
I tried them on alto...They were quite dense(hard-blowing)...I got the 2 3/4 and tried them on a C* for alto and that was still a little thick feeling...
These might be really cool on tenor or bari...but for me they are just *another* reed company...

Cheers...

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Re: Gonzalo Reeds ?

I'm reviving this thread because I'm wondering if anyone else has been having experiences with them. I just bought two, one each for two different mpcs and both were stuffy. They really restrained my sound. Thick and dull with little projection.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts