Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've tried a box of their alto reeds. I'd say they were just ordinary, nothing special but not all worthless. I've pretty much left cane behind and use Fibracell for most of my playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I've been using gonzalez family reeds since the '90s
I like the newer GD clarinet reeds, don't like the soprano sax reeds, and while I like the RC sax reeds ("Regular Cut") I think they haven't been getting more success because due to the nature of the design and the quarter strenght increase, the numbers don't compare with most other makers. I know there's table of equivalences and such, but most players won't use a #2 1/4 reed if they use #3 or #3.5 from another make. Period. They just wouldn't be open to "go down so much". Me, I don't let myself be fooled by something as arbitrary as the different grading of different makes. If I use a #1 reed from a certain maker and I sound like I want to, fine. If I use a #4 from another make, fine too. But most players feels like peer pressure or something and they buy "canned wisdom". If the player they look up to uses a 9* link and hard reeds, they are going to be inclined to start trying reeds like 3 1/4 or so. And they just ain't going to make them work.
Bass clarinet reeds when used on tenor don't suffer from this huge strenght difference. And they sound really nice. And the newer Jazz version (Local 627 or something) are a tad softer, comparing their strenght with rico royals or the softer VD's like javas or V16s.
Bottomline, they've come a long way. They've solved and improved almost everything, except the dumbfounding strenght grading on the regular cut sax reeds.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I think they are very good reeds, but as Juan alludes, you have to give up on any ideas of equivalence with the strength grades. My experience - Gonzalez 3 = 3H or 4S in Rico Select Jazz, 4.5 in Rico Orange Box and is between 3.5 and 4 in Vandoren. But they are definitely worth a try.

I use the RSJ, and am happy with them, so I haven't bought any more Gonzalez, but they are a good alternative - well made, nice cane. Another plus - they don't use those stupid plastic thingies to hold the reeds, but use good old cardboard sleeves (though I fail to see why makers abandoned the paper packing in boxes without sleeves of any kind).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
The Gonzalez reeds I have used are consistant with a high % of usable reeds per box (80%). I have found the strength to be roughly equivalent to Van Doren blue box. I think they are very good value for the money and as good or better than anything else I've tried, especially for Tenor.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Love them on tenor as well. Full bodied, very long lasting. Not overly bright, not dark, but just perfect for most applications. Also I find them to be one of the most consistent reeds out there compared to a lot others. Been on them for awhile now and until I find something better, I will more then likely stick with them

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i liked the idea more than anything at first,but ive shied away from the tenors...i like the sopranos and bari for their longevity.....but REALLY like the baris!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I use Fibracell on my Tenor now, would not go back to cane.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Gonzales Tenor reeds arrived yesterday. Gave them a quick test. All 5 are virtually identical, the most consistent reeds I've ever found. Ordered 1/4 strength softer than my usual Vandoren V16s - seems to be about right. I'll post more after more playing time on them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,865 Posts
I have used them several times both on tenor and alto I haven't found too big a variation compared to other brands, yes they are harder but then again I tend to work on a reed until it pleases me. (in the beginning they were offered at a very low price here in holland they have levelled their prices since then)

The last batch I had were absolutely great but the last 4 died all more or less together.

Gonzales are popular among health conscious players since they are guaranteed organically grown and free of pesticides

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have been solely using Gonzalez for 7 years.
The soprano reeds are the best on the market, and the alto and baritone work great for me also.
I have not had success with the tenor reeds.

·
Registered
69 Posts
my friend gave me one on clarinet. it was phenomenal! i decided to try sax reeds, alto and tenor. i noticed something weird, they don't fit any of my mouthpieces(links and selmers mostly) and you can clearly hear that something doesn't fit right. its like an airy buzzy noise. anyone have this experience?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I changed to Gonzales reeds several years ago and they were just perfect for me. They gave me a great sound on my Mauriat tenor with a Brillhart Personaline L5 and FL lig, and I can honestly say that I've never had a bad one in a box, some better than others for sure, but never a bad one.

Also, and unlike some other reeds I've used which have S,M and H gradings on the same number reed, I find the Gonzales ¼ gradings very true. After using the Gonzales 2.5 for a couple of years I felt that I needed to move up a ¼ strength and the 2.75 is just perfect for me now whereas when I changed from a 2M to a 2H on another make of reed it just didn't work and the H was unplayable for me.

The only trouble with Gonzales reeds here in the UK is that there's only one supplier, well, I've only ever found one supplier, and they are currently out of 2.75s with a lead time of up to 60 days delivery from Argentina. So I've had to buy them from Thomann in Germany which with shipping makes them ridiculously expensive.

If anyone knows of more than one UK supplier of Gonzales reeds, I'd be very grateful to know who they are.

PS: I've just been advised by Thomann that they're out of stock of 2.75s as well , so apparently no Gonzales 2.75s in UK or Europe and they're charging £19 shipping on a box of 5 from the USA - ridiculous. So I guess I'm down to getting a box of 3s and working on them with my reed rush !!!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I changed to Gonzales reeds several years ago and they were just perfect for me. They gave me a great sound on my Mauriat tenor with a Brillhart Personaline L5 and FL lig, and I can honestly say that I've never had a bad one in a box, some better than others for sure, but never a bad one.

Also, and unlike some other reeds I've used which have S,M and H gradings on the same number reed, I find the Gonzales ¼ gradings very true. After using the Gonzales 2.5 for a couple of years I felt that I needed to move up a ¼ strength and the 2.75 is just perfect for me now whereas when I changed from a 2M to a 2H on another make of reed it just didn't work and the H was unplayable for me.

The only trouble with Gonzales reeds here in the UK is that there's only one supplier, well, I've only ever found one supplier, and they are currently out of 2.75s with a lead time of up to 60 days delivery from Argentina. So I've had to buy them from Thomann in Germany which with shipping makes them ridiculously expensive.

If anyone knows of more than one UK supplier of Gonzales reeds, I'd be very grateful to know who they are.

PS: I've just been advised by Thomann that they're out of stock of 2.75s as well , so apparently no Gonzales 2.75s in UK or Europe and they're charging £19 shipping on a box of 5 from the USA - ridiculous. So I guess I'm down to getting a box of 3s and working on them with my reed rush !!!
Would you care to share what UK shop you are referring to? Thank you!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yes, Dawkes Music and their subsidiary Windcraft, who share the same building but trade under separate names, are the only ones in UK. I've actually emailed a couple of the larger UK retailers, including sax.co.uk, to ask them if they will add Gonzalez reeds to their stock, but none has ever replied. Disappointing really.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts