Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read several posts concerning Gonzales reeds with different comparisons to reed strength of other reeds. I ask Gonzalez Customer Service how they compare to Vandoren Traditional 2.5's. I received the following QUICK reply:

-----Original Message-----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Tue, 15 May 2007 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: (www.gonzalezreeds.com) - English

Dear Jeff,

Our alto sax 2 1/2 is like Vandoren´s 2.5. What you should take in account is that our strengths are divided by quarters, so each box contains a smaller range of strength variation.
What I mean is that if you are used to vandoren 2 1/2 those reeds range from 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 , so you should try Gonzalez 2 1/2 and if it seems too hard you should also try 2 1/4 or 2 3/4 if they are too soft. What we do by dividing the strengths in quarters is make sure that at least 80% of the reeds in each box are playable, they are all the same.

I hope I´m clear.

Thanks for contacting us.

Have a nice day!

Gabriela Barón
[email protected]
www.gonzalezreeds.com
Argendonax S.A.
Tel: 54 261 4454864
Fax: 54 261 4458283

http://www.gonzalezreeds.com
Fecha de la consulta: 11/05/07

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
It sounds like a roundabout answer but it is accurate. I play Zonda 3.k substrength K on tenor and used to play that strength on a Mark VI alto as well. Thats about a 3.75 strenth with other brands. Once you find the right substrength they are consistant and worth the extra money on trial reeds. Let them sit in a drawer for a year to 18 months and then play them. They come aged but extra aged is a really fine sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I'd agree with that reply, based on going back and forth between Vandoren and Gonzalez several times.

Furthermore, you can use it to extrapolate whether you want to try 1/4 stronger or weaker:

Most reeds in the Vandoren box die after a week = try 1/4 stronger Gonzalez
Most reeds in the Vandoren box are too stuffy = try 1/4 weaker Gonzalez

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Just curious whether anyone has gone to Gonzales on alto and if so, what strength compared to other brand/type. Ditto with soprano.

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MM said:
Just curious whether anyone has gone to Gonzales on alto and if so, what strength compared to other brand/type. Ditto with soprano.

Thanks.
According to the Gonzalez Customer Service Rep - Gonzalez 2.5 = Vandoren Traditional 2.5 for Alto.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I usually play a V16 3 or Superial DC 3.5 on tenor. I just bought a box of gonzalez 2.75 and after briefly try 2 reeds I found that one was maybe a bit too stuffy and the other felt like it would break in nicely. I'll report more as I play them more.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I usually play vandoren v16 #2.5 on tenor and just switched to gonzales 2 1/4 and just love then. I now rotating between 2 reeds and they play alike.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
MM said:

Thanks.
I use both Gonzalez 2.5 and LaVoz MH on alto and tenor. They are similar in strength.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I ordered a box of 2.5 to go with my 2.75s. I think I'll go with the 2.5s for a bit. They do take a couple of days to break in, but once they do, wow, they've got a great sound. And I really like the look of the packaging too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What would be the Gonzalez equivalent to a tenor Rico Select Jazz 4S ??

Also could someone comment on the differences between Select Jazz and Gonzalez.

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts