Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a Baritone Sax with the engraving "Golden Vox". I have never heard this and have no clue who the manufacturer is.
It needs some fix before it's ready to play and I'm just wondering if it's worth buying and fixing?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,921 Posts
Welcome to SOTW,
It’s French. how much? $100000000....No! $5.....yes!
You need to offer more information. Low A ? Pictures would help too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
it’s a weltklang solist baritone. Somewhere you should read “ made in the GDR or DDR’ (which is in former East-Germany, Markneukirchen to be precise)

They are not bad at all.

They have a particular Low A arrangement which features a key at the back (by the thumbrest) and one at the front , by the left hand plateau.

A complete overhauls will bring this easily into the the area of maximum value which in Europe, for a playable Silverplate one is around the €1500.

Two tones tend to fetch a little bit less.

Lot of information on SOTW if you search for Weltklang Baritone

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The seller sais that it isn't a Weltklang, he once checked the serial number with an expert (but he can't remember what brand it is now). Any other ideas?

·
3,921 Posts
My “guess” on maker being French was made by Beaugnier in France as a 'stencil' for Vox Ampliphonics. Dating to 1960’s. Milandro is more knowledgeable than I. Where are you? USD$? Gather as much information pertaining to the needed repairs and go visit your intended tech. Get a repair range estimate. Investment plus repair cost equals bottom line. Is it affordable? To answer the question is it a good instrument? Any instrument is only as good as the technician and Player can make it. Like a car, knobs and switches move around. Are you ok with that? The sound it will produce will be as unique as the player-instrument-tech combination. Only you can determine that value.

·
38,817 Posts
The seller sais that it isn't a Weltklang, he once checked the serial number with an expert (but he can't remember what brand it is now). Any other ideas?
Cheers Bopity :bluewink:

I like to think that , after having sold nearly 200 saxophones (and a few Weltkalngs) that I am an expert :whistle: , besides, I have sold two horns identical to this, one was branded B&S ( two tones) and the other one was branded Roth (Silverplate).

Anyway compare pictures. You’ll find plenty around.

I am certainthat it is what it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Milandro, I think I believe more in you than the seller!
I did compare images and I thought it looked exactly like a Weltklang.
Anywho I turned it down, I don't think that's the kind of bari I'm looking for.

·
3,921 Posts
Milandro, was it fairly offered at 340-570($USD?).
Puderude, do you have a preferred bari you’re seeking? Where are you located?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
At $400-- I assume US Dollars-- it's a no brainer, these are solid, functional in-tune saxophones especially the bari's, that bridge the gap ergo wise, between the vintage USA Elkhart made horns such as Conn12M, Buescher, Martin etc. and Selmer(Paris)/Yamaha keywork systems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's in Sweden, so I converted the price to USD.
I think I'm looking for a more vintage one, like a Conn or a Buescher. I havn't really played sax for many years, I just pick it up every once in a while, so a low A or Bb doesn't really matter for me.
I like them to look a bit rough, preferably matte with almost no lacquer :D It should look like it lived a whole life :)
Any tips on models to look for?

·
38,817 Posts
It is a very fair price ( which is it ? I am assuming $570) but if it needs an overhaul ( which I think it is suggested that it does) , they can be extremely pricey in Sweden ( easily $1000) and in the end the total will be in the region of the price of a Baritone that needs no work.

I have sold silverplate Weltklangs for €1500.

So, as said, it is not a bad price. I’d certainly consider it.

Anyway, The usual suspects qualify: Buescher, Conn, Martin, but also Keilwerth, Grassi and many other ones.

·
3,921 Posts
So the burning question is. Find a good buy on a serviceable base horn and rework it = you know exactly what you have. Or pay full price for a quality working one and hope nothing goes wrong. All that and finding one available you like

·
38,817 Posts
there are many ways to skin a cat. Both routes are good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts