Sax on the Web Forum banner

Goldbrass Medusa on ebay -only 200 of these made!

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Ruediger Kramer 
#1 · (Edited)
#3 ·
That's my horn! I am selling it through my friend's account. It's a great horn, but I don't need three tenors right now and I'd probably get more for it than the other two (CJS and Big B) tenors I have.

I also have a CJS alto.

I love B&S horns and regret having to sell it, but I really need the cash right now more than anything. I bought this horn from 'speyman' who had it set up. It plays great and look great. I hardly played the horn at all when I got it from speyman -- I just shined it up with some Hagertys and let it go at that.

Anyway, it's great horn -- somebody is going to get a steal. BTW, I wasn't going to post here and announce the sale, because the SOTW folks are resourceful enough to find it on their own and are a particularly 'frugal' lot anyhow.

#9 ·
B&S Horns

The A Train said:
Someone can grab a great deal here on the three-neck Goldbrass Medusa sure to go up in value. I have one and believe me they are worth every penny>http://cgi.ebay.com/B-S-Medusa-Gold...1QQihZ004QQcategoryZ16234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It is curious that some people quote ficticious retail and street prices in their ads! Maybe there still is " a sucker born every minute"?

I recently sold and two years later repurchased an "as new" B&S 2001 tenor in sandblast finish for $1800. I also recently paid $2200 for a new sandblast alto. I would pay less for a Medusa or one of the other knockoffs unless of course I really wanted it and then I would need to pay whatever the market thinks it is worth. They will probably go up in value eventually.

The present price is a good deal. Maybe he will get some bounce toward the end of the auction and I hope he does, but it is what it is and the value is what some else is willing to pay.

I think pointing out items of interest to other sax players is a fine and gentlemanly thing to do;afterall none of us would want to take advantage of someone else. We just want a fair and reasonable price.

#11 ·
mountainman said:
...I also recently paid $2200 for a new sandblast alto. I would pay less for a Medusa or one of the other knockoffs unless of course I really wanted it and then I would need to pay whatever the market thinks it is worth. ...
Um, are you saying a Medusa is a knock-off of a B&S? I am also confused- you would pay less because you already have a B&S, or you would pay less for horn with higher copper content brass and 3 necks than for the sandblast finish?

Was your sandblast alto a Medusa or a 2001 as your signature states? I only ask because the Medusa alto was allegedly an improvement on the 2001, whereas the tenor Medusa and 2001 were alleged to be relatively similar. It would also indicate that you paid more for an older model horn (model 2001) than the market was charging for the improved model (Medusa) at the time. Granted, the 2001 may have been 'new' in the box as opposed to 'as new'.

#12 · (Edited)
JMac said:
Um, are you saying a Medusa is a knock-off of a B&S? I am also confused- you would pay less because you already have a B&S, or you would pay less for horn with higher copper content brass and 3 necks than for the sandblast finish?

Was your sandblast alto a Medusa or a 2001 as your signature states? I only ask because the Medusa alto was allegedly an improvement on the 2001, whereas the tenor Medusa and 2001 were alleged to be relatively similar. It would also indicate that you paid more for an older model horn (model 2001) than the market was charging for the improved model (Medusa) at the time. Granted, the 2001 may have been 'new' in the box as opposed to 'as new'.
No I do not consider the medusa a knockoff as are the CJS and the Allora. B&S totally screwed up their US marketing. They couldn't decide if they wanted to compete with the big four or the Tiwaneese imports. While they were at it along came Cannonball and P mauriat to lay claim to the middle ground!

As I indicated with any horn you pay what you need to pay in order to aquire it. Both my horns are 2001 models and do place a premium on the sandblast finish and on the 2001. I did not mean to insult Medusa owners only to try and establish relative values. Perception plays a big part.

#13 ·
mountainman said:
... do place a premium on the sandblast finish and on the 2001.
No offense taken, I was just looking for clarification as to why you would pay more for one over the other - thanks. I guess in actuality, none of them are really knock-offs [as they were all made at the same factory] but some are just stencils. In re-reading the ad, it did seem to indicate they were knock-offs of Selmers, I wonder if that helps or hurts the final price?

In the meantime, somebody got a great deal on a very good tenor...

My 2001 Tenor and Goldbrass alto are my daily players. I am doing my best to hold on to them, but may have to part with them depending on the results of some medical test later this week.

Nothing bad, but will create a major financial drain..:(

#15 ·
Thanks A Train.

I'll be able to elaborate on Thursday. As it stands now I will certainly have to part with most of my horns ["between jobs"] -the test results will merely determine whether they are my primary players or back-up and project horns that go.

In the meantime, I'm going through the mouthpiece drawer to get ready for my first [dread] eBait selling experience....

#16 ·
The A Train said:
But you would and did pay $4500 for your Shadow?!? To each his own.
Actually $4300 ,but what's a few hundred more or less and now they are $4800 and I would pay that too if neccessary. Today while preping for a gig I was reminded why: Best action, easiest blowing and nicest sound of any horn I have ever played.

Back to B&S: The first time play tested the 2001 against the SX 90 I chose the B&S horn over the JK! The sound was nearly the same and I did not rate the superior action of the JK worth the extra $600.

Four years later I wanted the best horn money could buy. At that point I had never heard of Inderbinen!! The Holy Grail may still be out there? I sold the 2001 and then later bought another. After all ther're not making them any more. Congratulations on having one ( two)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.