Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a saxophone that my friend Ryan Lillywhite restored. He is the guy who plays all the great tenor solos in the Cannonball videos. It is a King Super 20 alto with full pearls and a sterling silver bell. He brought his sax down the The Saxophone Shop and used my plating set up to pen plate the inside of the engraving on the bell. He did a real nice job of "coloring inside the lines" on this one. I've decided to offer gold brush and pen plating as a service at the Saxophone Shop on silver or silver plated saxes in addition to immersion plating on mouthpieces and necks. Just send a photo of the engraving for a quote and a time estimate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Looks great. The Super 20 I believe was the most beautiful sax ever made.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Ooooh, I like that. I read your comment about only doing it on a horn with immersion plating. Does that mean you only want to do it on a fresh plating job? I’m thinking about it in the context of my silver plate Borgani Jubilee that has very heavy silver plate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
G; that's immersion plating. He means not on 'home' electroplating or other forms of plating - at least I think so. So you would be GTG unless it has lacquer over the silver.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
G; that's immersion plating. He means not on 'home' electroplating or other forms of plating - at least I think so. So you would be GTG unless it has lacquer over the silver.
Thank you. No lacquer over the silver plate on Borgani horns - oh my, that is soooooo pretty.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ooooh, I like that. I read your comment about only doing it on a horn with immersion plating. Does that mean you only want to do it on a fresh plating job? I’m thinking about it in the context of my silver plate Borgani Jubilee that has very heavy silver plate.
I'm sorry that language wasn't as clear as I intended. What I meant was that gold brush and pen plating will be offered in addition to immersion plating on small objects that will fit in a liter beaker. The brush and pen plating can only be done on previously silver plated surfaces. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts