Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would gold-plating a mouthpiece that dents or damages easily prevent the damage? Specifically a Dukoff if anyone wondered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
NOPE.that plating is a few 1000ths of an inch thick

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
There were some silver-plate over Silverite mouthpieces that recently sold here. Both were described by the seller as fairly ugly. I think you would need to under-plate with copper or something else to get the gold to stick well. But if you could get a good gold plating on it, it would protect from corrosion but not from damage. I believe gold is softer than the zinc/tin Silverite alloy. Now something like a very thick plate of nickle or rhodium might help a little.

A better choice is probably to buy a bronze Dukoff instead.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
...or a sterling silver dukoff!!!!

·
Registered
8,978 Posts
That is nasty. It looks more like than a 100 cm drop to me. But even if you dropped a plastic or brass mouthpiece like that, it would have significant damage. I think even a stainless steel mouthpiece would show a dent (from 100 cm).

I can give you a quote on fixing it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, I can't remember where I heard this but thought it would be a great solution if I ever got a Dukoff. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks mojobari, this incident has happened to me two years ago, then I place the mouthpiece here in Italy and then I sold it (it was a d6 for alto sax). The mouthipece fell from a height of 10 cm, not 100 cm! the problem is that he fell from the tip :-(
Why don't you get a plastic version dukoff, the black or crystal one? Much cheaper, and from my experience, the plastic version has better consistency than the silverite ones. :)
The question is that in every case you should try never to drop the mouthpiece on the ground, perhaps the plastic vibracom is more durable but probably, if it falls to the ground, instead of bending may break or damage, the same would be a big problem .

Rather, I speak of the vibracom chamber, I've got a horseshoe chamber http://img178.imageshack.us/g/dsc02714z.jpg/

is a case or all vibracom have the horseshoe chamber?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks mojobari, this incident has happened to me two years ago, then I place the mouthpiece here in Italy and then I sold it (it was a d6 for alto sax). The mouthipece fell from a height of 10 cm, not 100 cm! the problem is that he fell from the tip :-(

The question is that in every case you should try never to drop the mouthpiece on the ground, perhaps the plastic vibracom is more durable but probably, if it falls to the ground, instead of bending may break or damage, the same would be a big problem .

Rather, I speak of the vibracom chamber, I've got a horseshoe chamber http://img178.imageshack.us/g/dsc02714z.jpg/

is a case or all vibracom have the horseshoe chamber?
I don't own a tenor vibracom, but I looked at my alto crystal vibracoms, and they do have a horseshoe chamber.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2015-2016
2,617 Posts
I have a couple of tenor miami dukoffs that play unbelievably well and was thinking about having one of them gold plated just because it would look better then the gun metal grey that they have turned into . Is it possible to have one gold plated ? I asked my friend who does plating and he said it wouldnt work on silverite .Is that true? I really wouldnt want to screw up either piece because Ive searched for years to find players like these. should I just leave them alone and play them or is it fairly easy to have one plated?thanks in advance

·
2,617 Posts
Btw ive had plenty of the plastic dukoffs and they sound nothing like a good silverite. Not even close...I wanted them to sound as good but they just didnt to me. silverite may be softer cheaper material but nothing gets that sound that Ive ever tried .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
why not get Sakshama to make you one out of bronze or sterling silver?
http://sakshamamouthpieces.com/mouthpieces/sakshama_d.html

And since he cast them himself, you can ask him to do a little bit of custom work on the piece to make it brighter or darker.

plus he's a great guy, and makes amazing pieces too boot

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,023 Posts
Yes, I could do that. With the price of silver this days, sterling silver piece would be around $675. Bronze $350.

·
2,617 Posts
Im sure that Sakshama makes a really high quality mouthpiece but Ive all ready found the mouthpieces for me.Love the old silverite dukoff tenor pieces that I have .Just wanted to know if they can be replated? If so who can do this job ? any one have experience sending a mouthpiece off to have it replated. Im thinking this would either be a fast simple thing to do or possibly the dumbest thing Ive ever done if the piece gets ruined.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
jd, if the appearance bothers you, you could always just polish them with a metal polish. Just be careful not to rub the table or rails. I think that plating would be unlikely to work, and possibly the attempt would result in more harm than good.

·
2,617 Posts
i think you are right.ive tried brasso on it but it didnt work . my tech gets it shiney with a buffing wheel. I try a metal polish. thanks

·
Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer
1,019 Posts
Unfortunately there's nothing to do, the mouthpiece Dukoff are delicate ... here it is, this is a Dukoff that has slipped from my hands and fell on the table (the flight was only about 10 cm).... sigh!

http://img188.imageshack.us/g/dsc01826h.jpg/
It can be repaired but working on silverite is a real messe... I use plastic mouthpieces made with a special mold which up to today never broke falling on the floor (and jumping on it) from more than 100cm. Last time was yesterday, I was trying to fit the mouthpiece with a lig and the launch was 1m high and 2m long plus a couple of jumps... maybe I was just lucky but it happened at least 5 or 6 time in the last two years and nothing happened.
All the best,

Stan

Stan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts