Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard some decent things about the Goldcup sopranos, and I am wondering if anyone here has played one. What they thought overall? Tone? Did it sound like a Snack Charmer? Was it in tune?

~Carbs

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,360 Posts
I played one maybe a year ago. A fellow SOTW poster had obtained it on a trial basis from an L.A. based distributor. The poster came to my house and we played a variety of sopranos and clarinets (and various moputhpieces), mostly from my collection.

I was surprised at how well the Gold Cup soprano played, considering its price. WAY too bright and tonally thin for my tastes, but it played. I would not buy one but I have no need for something like that. I can see where someone on a budget may enjoy it for learning purposes. However, that was only one example. DAVE

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I would use it for (Gold cup) is a little church playing. Nobody in my church orchestra plays Soprano, and so we have a Tenor covering that part. And for the occasional piece it would be nice to hear a Soprano sound instead of a High Tenor. I would deffiantly use it to learn Soprano on, but it would be my main Soprano through college and a little after I graduate probably. Hey Dave did it sound oboeish? If you can remember. The model that I am looking at is a straight soprano. If that helps any.

·
14,360 Posts
Carbs: The one I played was straight.

Obeish? I have never gotten that sound out of a soprano. All I can say was it sounded VERY bright and somewhat thin (much like I produce out of Yamaha YAS23 altos - not my cup o' tea).

Okay scale, for the little time I played it. I did not spend the time with it that I normally would if I was buying something. I ran a few arpeggios on it, played a tune or two and thought it was better than I expected, but nothing that would interest me.

I suppose a soprano like this one may fill someone's needs, but to do it right, I still think one needs to get to at least the level of a Kessler Custom or an Antigua. DAVE

·
Registered
762 Posts
Carbs,

Are you sure it's Gold Cup, or 'GOLDEN'' Cup ??

I remember 'GOLDEN'' Cup being compared to Antigua 590 sopranos on here a while back........which incidentally, means rather good.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am going downtown for my private lesson tomorrow. And will take a look at the horn. I believe it was a Golden cup. But I will have to check.

~Carbs

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the horn is infact a GoldenCup.
$400 and I was nice to the sales lady so she said she could give me a 10% discount which she said was the most she could give me. So I may get a reed and in the summer go check it out.

~Carbs

Still looking for expierences with the horn.

·
3,189 Posts
the mouthpeice that comes with these is supringly decent. the case is a joke but dont let this stop you from getting a bargin horn otherwise

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am going to keep an eye on them. $359.10 for a good horn will mean I will deffiantly get it this summer if I do. Still would like to know about the Snake Charmer tone.

~Carbs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts