Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
1,370 Posts
Sold out!! Wow....
Well, enjoy the show and let us know how it was.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I saw him at the Catalina Bar and Grill once. After the show, I thanked him for everything he's done for modern pop sax and for helping so many people to find their voice through his influence. His response?

"Aw, if I hadn't done it, someone else would have."

I have an incredible amount of respect for that man.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
I was lucky enough to see him a few years back in NZ.

He didn't disappoint.

I kick myself now because it was a friend of mine that brought
him out there. I was invited to the party after the gig.
I was with a few other people so declined the invite.

Dumb.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow - what an amazing show!!! Easily one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Sanborn was great, and the band was excellent! I was able to spend some time with him after the show, and he was extremely gracious as well. I had the feeling that he would have talked to me for an hour had I wanted. He signed everything and posed for dozens of pictures, all with a smile. A class act all the way around.

He shared something with me that he said I'd appreciate "as a fellow sax player". He told me that he split his reed with his mouthpiece cover as he was coming on stage. Split reed or not - he was still remarkable. (Can you believe he called me a fellow sax player!?!)

Enjoy these pics...

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hoping to go and see him again (for the 9th time) in july at ronnie scott's
in london the only problem is the ticket price @£75 ($150) and that doesn't guarantee seat ,you have to reserve a table with meal to guarantee a seat
with a miminum meal price of £18 .The yellowjackets are playing the week before ticket price £40

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,462 Posts
Saw him down at the Masonic center in SF years ago. I remember being tired afterwards from all the energy off the stage. Each guy in the quartet could solo for a half hour unaccompanied. What talent, he started Smooth J but nobody can get the feeling out of the horn the way he can. I really like his work ( I hope its him) on one of the Mel Gibson Lethal weapon movies. The whole thing seemed centerd around sax. K

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,494 Posts
Is that a Mk VI or a VII ??

And is there another key just above and to the right of the top front F
pearl ???

·
Registered
638 Posts
I'm going to see him at the Hampton Jazz fest. I saw him last year for the first time, and it was just amazing. I love this guy. I've never had the opportunity to speak with him though. Hopefully that changes at some point. Great pictures. I'm totally jealous. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I saw him on the Dave Koz Cruise last Fall. He was just awesome! I was able to chat with him several times on the ship and he was very cordial and gracious. It was really cool to see how excited the other performers were to perform on stage with him too. The energy that was on stage with Sanborn, Kirk Whalum, Dave Koz, and Mindi Abair all playing their saxes together was unforgettable. He was humerous too and told some great stories about his career. He said it was the first time he had ever been on a cruise and that he hadn't felt that kind of motion and swaying since Woodstock.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
kavala said:
Is that a Mk VI or a VII ??

And is there another key just above and to the right of the top front F
pearl ???
LOL. Must be the 'engage Sanborn sound' key.

·
Premium Member
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nobby Keys said:
fballatore -

Nice Pics - yours I assume?
Thanks. Yes, I took those with my new D200.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts