Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter bought me and the wife tickets to the Maceo Parker concert tomorrow night in San Francisco. Should be a fun night. We're going down on the Amtrack and staying with daughter and her husband in SF. Makes life easy not fighting Bay Area traffic; the train and Lyft, easy-peasy. Anybody else going to be there?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Best show I've seen in a long time. Maceo. Gotta love him.

My only regret was that I ended up drinking a little too much and thought that I should get a cab home quickly. They apparently played for another hour and a half after I left.

It was still epic.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I loved the SFJazz venue. Small enough to feel like you’re part of the show. They let those who feel the overwhelmong urge get up and dance up front. Half the audience was up front dancing.

Maceo was a lot of fun. He is obvously having a great time, still playing and singing great at 75. He made a point of saying they don’t do jazz then played a very short and fast jazz rendition of Sophisticated Lady. A very funkified evening!

The show ran from 7:30 to 10:30 with a short opening set by Deva Mahal. Some of the pumping the audience for applause, (can we all give up some applause for New York City, James Brown, Prince, George Clinton ...) got old and I would have liked more Maceo on sax and less singing with the band but all in all it was a thoroughly entertaining show. See him if you get a chance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
. Some of the pumping the audience for applause, (can we all give up some applause for New York City, James Brown, Prince, George Clinton ...) got old and I would have liked more Maceo on sax and less singing with the band
Thanks for the laugh.
I'm convinced all the showbiz stuff and come on give-it-up-fors just make the artist feel better in front of a mob.
Most acts do it.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I saw Maceo a few times in SF, at the Great American Music Hall and also a couple of times with Van Morrison and with George Clinton. I'm glad he's still going and at his age its very hard work. This guy has so much music in him and he has played with so many greats, in particular James Brown who has never been equaled.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the laugh.
I'm convinced all the showbiz stuff and come on give-it-up-fors just make the artist feel better in front of a mob.
Most acts do it.
Yes, I got the feeling that's exactly what was going on. He wanted the audience constantly pumped up, keeping the energy high. I looked around later in the show and noticed others looking like they were getting tired of it too. It reminded me of a show I took my daughter to when she was little. It was something put on by Nickelodeon Network complete with the dropping of barrels full of green goo. Much of the show was the "stars" pumping the crowd up. That kind of thing strikes me as artificial. Let the crowd get excited by the performance not the constant urging to "give it up for" or "put your hands together for".

All that said, I enjoyed the Maceo concert a lot. I've always been a fan of funk. I grew up listening to the English and American bluesmen and learned to like jazz listening to the college radio station but funk fits right in somewhere in between and I've always been a fan. And Maceo is the best of the genre.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The show ran from 7:30 to 10:30 with a short opening set by Deva Mahal. Some of the pumping the audience for applause, (can we all give up some applause for New York City, James Brown, Prince, George Clinton ...) got old and I would have liked more Maceo on sax and less singing with the band but all in all it was a thoroughly entertaining show. See him if you get a chance.
This was exactly my thought after seeing him about two years ago here in Colorado. I was expecting to hear more playing similar to what he was doing on his older CDs and it was more like watching a James Brown tribute show. It was fun, entertaining, and a great night out with my girl but if you're expecting a lot of funk/ blues influenced jazz sax playing you may be a bit disappointed. I think he's just doing what sells and this type of show is generally going to be a much bigger draw than one with a lot of instrumental sax soloing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts