Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing a Guardala studio for about three semesters now and I love the sound i'm getting out of it. The only problem is that I feel the tip is too open. I'm looking at getting something around a 7* but still has that punch the Guardala has. Mouthpieces I have tried include jody jazz dv, otto link ny and stm, vandoren java, v16. They are all good mouthpieces but don't have what I am looking for. Im still planning on trying a Theo Wanne datta, Morgan Excalibur, and maybe a ponzol. Im not sure. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
i got a Strathon...its got the adjustable baffle....makes it customisable for all situations..worth checking out...

actually,I think its pretty wierd that Guardalas sound the way they do with such a large tip opening...just about ANY piece with projection is gonna have a smaller tip

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts
I have been playing a Guardala studio for about three semesters now and I love the sound i'm getting out of it. The only problem is that I feel the tip is too open. I'm looking at getting something around a 7* but still has that punch the Guardala has. Mouthpieces I have tried include jody jazz dv, otto link ny and stm, vandoren java, v16. They are all good mouthpieces but don't have what I am looking for. Im still planning on trying a Theo Wanne datta, Morgan Excalibur, and maybe a ponzol. Im not sure. If you have any recommendations, please let me know!

What makes you feel the tip is too open?

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,194 Posts

Actually, you said all the mouthpieces you tried were good but didn't have what you are looking for? What are you looking for?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,290 Posts
When talking tip openings, it is best to put it in inches or mm as brands vary. A 7* of one brand may be way different from another brand. State .095", .105", etc. Also the baffle, chamber, material and other factors will have an effect on overall playing even with the same tip opening. With a Link tenor mouthpiece, a .095" is about my max whereas a Morgan Excalibur would be about .105" for me.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Why not try another Guardala with a lesser tip?
I was thinking this as well. The DG Studio is a .115 - .116 facing. I was playing a MBII which is a .114, but I wanted to smooth/soften the sound out a little more for some of the lower volume gigs I play, and the DG Crescent was the answer, at least until I started working with this Link STM NY 8....lol. It drops you down to a .110 and lowers the baffle slightly to soften the tone a little bit, but it will still punch through when you need it. Much easier to control for low volume situations than the Studio.

Also OP, what exactly are you looking for? The spread of mouthpieces you have tried really cross the entire spectrum from bright to dark. The Studio itself is a pretty dang bright mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
I've been playing a Link 7 for a couple years in some varied situations. It sounds like you've tried a lot of mouthpieces but each time I try a new piece, I also have to spend time finding the right reed brand and strength.

·
Premium Member
18,611 Posts
That was also my advice: try a softer reed or another brand of reeds first before changing a mouthpiece that you like. Or practise more: eventually you will able to control your present mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,443 Posts
I went full F on the meirs brigs years ago and I will never try that again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Texans are foreigners ;) .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Guardala studio has a big fat sound that I absolutely love. I currently play on a 2 1/2 reed which is pretty soft. Using to a softer reed makes the sound very thin and i tend to squeak. The other mouthpieces i tried didn't quite deliver. The links were stuffy, and the DV was nice but the intonation was pretty bad compared to the others. I looked at the crescent and the smaller tip opening might work out but from what I've read, its darker and made for a Coltrane like sound. I haven't personally tried it, but i'm open to new things. As far as sizing goes, I think .105 is about the biggest i need to go.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts