Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been asked to help sell a near-new Series III alto sax. I'm mostly a tenor guy and a vintage guy so modern horn prices aren't in my lexicon at the moment.

The horn was bought new not long ago, used for about half a year, and shelved when a student gave it up. I'm working on getting a serial and pictures (I don't know what finish is on it) but I imagine it's in quite good condition. It does include all the accessories - C* mouthpiece/ligature, case, etc.

Can anyone give me a shoot-from-the-hip estimate?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Maybe $2500-3500?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've just been looking at some second hand S3 altos here in London: I looked at three which were priced around £2200.00 (GBP), but that included a 20% mark-up by the shop that was selling them on commission. They seemed over-priced to me, but if I removed the 20% commission, I was left with a price of £1760.00 for the best of the three - a 10 year old instrument in good condition but in need of a full O/H. In US Dollars, that = $2868.50.

(FYI, I didn't buy the second hand horn because it needed a full overhaul which would have cost me £400 +VAT. That would have brought the total price to £2,600.00 without VAT (no VAT on the horn as it is a 2nd hand item). Since I am VAT registered, I could buy a new horn for about £2900 after reclaiming the VAT, so in the end it was only £300 cheaper to buy a ten year old horn! No-brainer really.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
the last one to sell on ebay was lacquered, in mint condition & went for $3400.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts