Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to update and loose all the paper on gigs. Where do I start with putting stuff on an iPad or Tablet? I also understand that all the real books are available to I can completely leave any paper at home.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
472 Posts
iReal Pro. Not perfect but it wasn't expensive when I bought it several years ago so it's definitely worth it. Pretty extensive song list and you can buy extensions for not a lot of dough.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,840 Posts
Ireal pro is cheap as chips.

It has many limitations and mistakes but it is editable and sharable in many ways. From the fora uploads there are lots of songs which otherwise are not contained in the standard upload, but the quality varies.

Of course, there are only chords on I real pro. If you need to have written melodies then you can read PDFs and if these are written on more than a page you need a pedal to change pages.

Make your own :twisted:

BUY one!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I use ForScore, Unrealbook, and iGig Pro. Unrealbook is free (I think), the other two cost $10-20. For gigs that have a book, I put PDFs into ForScore, it's very handy in being able to create setlists, make bookmarks so your part comes up (if within a PDF that includes all parts), being able to make notations on the parts, etc. Unrealbook is where I keep all the fakebooks, I have all the Real Books, New Real Books, and other fake books, including old tunedex cards. I would recommend getting a bluetooth pedal to turn pages with, lifting a hand to tap the screen to turn pages doesn't work all that well, although ForScore lets you turn half pages, so you can see the bottom of page 1 and the top of page 2 at the same time. I actually haven't been using iGig so much, but it's still installed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use a 12” iPad Pro- I like the bigger size and the ability to write stuff with Apple Pencil. I use an app called JotNot Pro, (primarily on my iPhone, although I would work on the iPad as well) to do scans of the sheet music I have as I need it. You just take a picture of the page(s). Each scan is optimized quite well and made in a PDF file. I then save those scans to iCloud Drive. From there I can pull them up anytime and read them directly.

I have also purchased all of the Bb RealBooks from the iTunes store and have loaded into my iPad.

From there, one can use any of several programs to organize them into various groupings, such as Forscore, Piascore, etc. However, I usually put them into Microsoft OneNote, then put them into folders in order and organized by gig. I find One Note to be very useful in my work and daily activity, so putting it to use for my music seems natural to me. It has a lot more flexibility in terms of keeping notebook pages and handwritten notes, search of text both typed and handwritten, etc. It also is nice because it syncs up with all of my devices (iPhone, MacBook and PC) that have OneNote installed.

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
I have igigbook and forscore....both a pain to setup....piascore is much easier to work with....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Trying not repeat comments made about ForScore but I have used it for 3+ years in 3 big bands and two combos. Using a cellular iPad Pro 12” 128 gig. I have accumulated over 2600 items in the app, some of which are all the parts plus scores. Have many other music and apps and only have used 89gigs. I have a lot of recordings of the bands linked to the parts for woodsheding and to demonstrate how the song goes. I have over 24 hrs of other music on it plus Fake books in iBooks I have a hp printer/scanner and use the scanner app on the iPad to enter most. One band would not let me take the music home so I found TurboScan on my IPhone to take scans of over 200 charts right off the stand to work the best. You can then upload to the cloud and pull them in the forScore app. Also keep back up on my iPhone for reference. I can also email a part to another right from forScore. If you are under 30 you may get away with iPad mini and I have seen them used. I use the iPad for so many other things I don’t consider the cost all related to music. Make sure you have it in airplane mode and Bluetooth on for your foot peddle and fully charged. Never had a battery issue unless I forgot to do that. No need for a stand light but watch out if you play outdoors as it will shut down if in direct sun and overheats. If I have to use paper I turn iPad off and put the paper over the iPad on the stand. I double on alto, tenor, clarinet and guitar so I can keep everything in one app. I have 30+ play along books scanned plus the tracks linked. I also play a wind controller so I can transpose bone parts and transpose the AE 10 to Eb. Have to change clef and key signature but I do that quickly using the annotation feature of forScore. Sometimes the paper chart was very small and faded. After scan and then using the crop feature I now have a workable copy.

·
Registered
228 Posts
+1 for Ipad and ForScore, has worked very well for three of in a quartet for several years. And as others have said, using a blue tooth footpaddle. I use a Firefly, page flip pedal. One minor complaint we've noticed using the foot pedal is for example playing in churches with ALOT of carpeting padding, where it is very soft to walk on. The soft carpet/pad absorbs the "push" of your foot and we've had times where it did not accept turning a page or if you stomping on it overcompensate, going past the page you've intended to go to. It becomes "interesting" to accidentally blow past the next page and then try go backwards and to find your place while everyone else is continuing playing.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Another happy user of iPad 12" (with pencil), ForScore with Real Books loaded, and iRealPro. Other tools: Tempo (metronome), Anytune Pro (slow down tunes, create loops for practice), Tunable (tuner).

I really like ForScore, though like someone mentioned, it can be a pain to set up everything, but well worth the investment.

If someone calls a tune I don't have loaded, I just take a picture using the ForScore utility, which loads it right into the app, and I'm ready to go. Also, it's great to be able to associate a tune with an audio file in ForScore. I'll load Miles' "On Green Dolphin Street" and an Aebersold version, making it easy to study the tune and then play along.

Eventually you may want a stand to hold the iPad, so check out the AirTurn tablet stands and holders, they're great and extremely portable.

It's been a game-changer going paperless. Someone will call a tune, and I've got it up and studying the changes while others are still trying to figure out which book it might be in. Of course, it'd be better to have the tunes memorized . . .

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I really like ForScore, though like someone mentioned, it can be a pain to set up everything, but well worth the investment.
I’ve given up on ForScore. I use GoodReader, a simple pdf reader, easy to build a folder structure with PDFs, compatible with the Apple Pencil to make notes over the sheet music, etc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: So I worked a little with my Mini iPad but it's going to be too small. My wife has a really old normal iPad that seems to be working. I'm using JotNot Pro to scan the pieces and ForScore to organize. Not sure I'm 100% on board. I like my paper but so far I'm only at $15 for the Apps. Now I'll need a pad turning pedal and Stand Holder for the iPad

·
Registered
228 Posts
UPDATE on iPad (I think mine is a version 3 or 4). Before a sunday afternoon gig, I thought I'd plan ahead and plug in my iPad to be completely charged before the afternoon gig. late morning I pull the charger to see the iPad asking for what language did I want!!!! Come to find out "it" or "Apple" had decided to update software and was re booting. It was asking for old original passwords for maybe three years ago. I try to keep an updated spreadsheet of all of my toys and their latest passwords, user names, idiosyncrasies but nothing worked. I have 250 pieces of music on the iPad for our quartet and of course the gig list is from that what's on the paid for my next gig in a few hours. I could not get into my iPad. I found enough hard copy to not **** off the rest of the quartet and we played MOST of the intended gig list, but now I've got to dance with the help desk, prove i am who i say i am and get this iPad working again. I guess this teaches me to not to brag too much about any given piece of hardware... Technology sometimes makes me tired....

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think we only missed one piece, with Maureen's cellular iPad Mini, and everything being kept in DropBox.

Maureen & I are also ForeScore users (with 12.9" iPad Pros), and find it plenty usable. It has plenty of "rubber stamps" to put in markings, but the hardest thing is negotiating D.S.s and D.C.s and Codas. Sometimes I just copy the pages of a piece so it's a straight shot all the way through. No waste of paper, after all. We also have orchestra music, flute choir music, church choral music obbligato parts, and even (temporarily) pit music. The beauty of playing shows from the iPad is no need for a stand light! The beauty of playing outdoors is not worrying about music blowing away! (Right, Don)?

I do a lot of scanning on an Epson flat bed scanner using VueScan, with touch up happening in GraphicConverter. With GC, I can straighten crooked scans, and improve the contrast of the music. I happen to not mind spending rather a lot of time in front of the computer. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve tried all of these but settled on iGigBook pro. Search for a tune across all the books you’ve downloaded. The simple pdf readers can’t do that. They’re like the books you have to flip through. If you have a set list and that’s all you’re going to play you can set it up, you can do that in iGigBook too. But we often call from a range of tunes. Couldn’t figure out how quickly access titles on these other apps. But I haven’t looked at them in several years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts