Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I am going back to music (again) and trying to review my music theory this summer. How does one get more comfortable with identifying chords? This is something I don't know how to practice. Any help would be appreciated. =)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
When you see a chord, try to invert it so the root is at the bottom and the other notes are stacked as thirds above it. Then identify the chord by its root and the the order of major and minor thirds stacked above it. This basic guide may help, but you should probably have a good theory book to guide you. Are you starting college? If so, find out which theory book you'll be using, buy it, and read it.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
Hi Kat!

I initially was writing a reply that just kept getting longer and more involved, but thought that might not be what you want. That's a really loaded question you asked, which could mean something like how to find the root and chord-type of a basic group of tones, to identifying really complex chords and what their functions are in the given progression. Could you be more specific? Maybe even a list of single-topic questions?

Be glad to help - just not sure where to begin. :hello2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Hey Kat

Try www.mattotto.org

lessons #1, #9, and #38 are great ones for hearing/playing chords, #38 especially.

PS

Hey Gary! :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys, at the moment I am working on just the various 7 chords in root position (inversions a bit later) and learning how to identify them visually; the harmonic analysis that will be coming up I know is going to kill me. I also need to work on identifying them audibly; any suggestions as I do not have a piano readily available.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts