Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two Yamaha alto clarinets, and both of them have tears in the bladder skin around the front F# key. This key has a chimney and an open hole, so it has a very specialized pad in it. Rather than trying to replace the pad, I was thinking of gluing the tear in the bladder. The tear does not extend to the tone hole, so it is not leaking, but I get an annoying buzz sometimes.

Does anyone know what type of glue to use on the bladder skin? I was thinking maybe some kind of polyurethane type sealant...

Thanks in advance for any advice. I am in Tunisia where there are no instrument repair tecs.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,432 Posts
try to put some clingfilm on the pad, then turn it tight at the front. It is a temporary fix but it should work.
Where are you in Tunisia?

I know the place and love it, even thought of moving there but now the situation is not as it was few years ago. Few years ago I went around few shops in search for ney flutes. Was not easy to find either the shops or the neys . One of the shops, possibly in Monastir had few clarinets on display.

Perhaps try this:

Music Plus

ADRESSE

Tanit Production & Music Plus, SARL
27 bis 1, rue Garibaldi 1001 Tunis Cedex, TUNISIE

Plan d'accès sur Google Maps

HORAIRES DE TRAVAIL

Du Lundi au Samedi de 9h00 à 20h00, 24H/24 et 7j/7 sur internet!

EMAIL

[email protected]

TÉLÉPHONE

+216 71 34 30 25 / +216 52 76 52 51
Du Lundi au Samedi de 9h00 à 19h00

FAX

+216 71 33 88 27

TRANSPORT

Métro : Station Iben Rachik ( Métro numéro: 2, 3, 4 et 5) Train : Gare de Tunis, (Terminus)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This guy recommends plumbers Teflon tape (otherwise as milandro says). I've no idea, but I always find him amusing...

https://youtu.be/WUBeVNOe8ko
Ha! That is a real quick fix. I have teflon tape, but I am hoping to do something a little more permanent. The pad you can see with the hole in it is what I need, but to different specifications. I think I will have to have it custom made, or I am hoping that I can re attach the fish skin on the existing felt. It is a brand new instrument, so the felt is not worn out.

Food Cuisine Ingredient Dish Baked goods

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try to put some clingfilm on the pad, then turn it tight at the front. It is a temporary fix but it should work.
Where are you in Tunisia?

I know the place and love it, even thought of moving there but now the situation is not as it was few years ago. Few years ago I went around few shops in search for ney flutes. Was not easy to find either the shops or the neys . One of the shops, possibly in Monastir had few clarinets on display.

Perhaps try this:

Music Plus

ADRESSE

Tanit Production & Music Plus, SARL
27 bis 1, rue Garibaldi 1001 Tunis Cedex, TUNISIE

Plan d'accès sur Google Maps

HORAIRES DE TRAVAIL

Du Lundi au Samedi de 9h00 à 20h00, 24H/24 et 7j/7 sur internet!

EMAIL

[email protected]

TÉLÉPHONE

+216 71 34 30 25 / +216 52 76 52 51
Du Lundi au Samedi de 9h00 à 19h00

FAX

+216 71 33 88 27

TRANSPORT

Métro : Station Iben Rachik ( Métro numéro: 2, 3, 4 et 5) Train : Gare de Tunis, (Terminus)
I am in Tunis, and I've been here for three years. I know that shop you mention, and they definitely don't do anything with wind instruments. The military band does a little repair, and that is the best there is here. I have proper instrument repair tools (from years of living in countries with no repairmen), and a selection of pads, corks, springs etc, so I have had several professional musicians bring me their horns. People here get work done in France, or don't do it at all.

I've been here 3.5 years with my wife and two small children, and life is good in Tunisia. It was sketchy for a while after the revolution, but things are safe right not. The dinar has dropped a lot, so it is cheaper than ever to live here too.

·
41,432 Posts
Great to know that you are doing well there , I’ve toured the entire country and its an amazing place.

Maybe you can get to Italy on a ferry sometime and bring your horns to repair there.

·
41,432 Posts
Ha! That is a real quick fix. I have teflon tape, but I am hoping to do something a little more permanent. The pad you can see with the hole in it is what I need, but to different specifications. I think I will have to have it custom made, or I am hoping that I can re attach the fish skin on the existing felt. It is a brand new instrument, so the felt is not worn out.

View attachment 218108
Some people put cork pads on clarinets

few suggestions here

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?157686-Shaping-Cork-Pads-and-using-Roo-Pads-on-Clarinet

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I looks like a rather standard flute pad.

I don't think you will glue it unless it is loose enough to overlap where it is torn.
I would suggest using PVA as a contact adhesive, perhaps diluted just a little to make it less gooey.
Have you considered gluing a patch of membrane applied across the tear?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was on a clarinet forum, and people advised against using cork on large toneholes. This is an alto clarinet, and the tonehole is pretty large. Apparently it is very difficult to get crok pads sealing on large toneholes. One technician suggested using a flute pad, and one said you cut a hole in a regular pad for the chimney, and then carefully glue down the fish skin. Then I thought why not just try gluing the fish skin back down on the original pad. (It is a brand new instrument) It is worth a try, but I want to use the right sort of adhesive.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Is there no metal tube that goes through that pad?
If not, then a standard bladder pad is unsuitable unless you can find a way to seal the exposed felt without destroying its accommodation properties. Water absorbs into the felt and makes the pad swell, which messes up the timing with another padded key, assuming there is another key linked to it.

A quality modern synthetic pad would be a better choice. Punch or mill a hole through it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is there no metal tube that goes through that pad?
If not, then a standard bladder pad is unsuitable unless you can find a way to seal the exposed felt without destroying its accommodation properties. Water absorbs into the felt and makes the pad swell, which messes up the timing with another padded key, assuming there is another key linked to it.

A quality modern synthetic pad would be a better choice. Punch or mill a hole through it.
I think a flute pad might be the way to go, but I don't have the 14mm one I need. I tried silicone sealant, and I'll let you'all know how it goes.
Wood Hardwood Circle Fashion accessory Snail

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Terrible idea gluing the torn bladder skin. I tried it and that just is not going to work. Finally I took a real pad and punched a hole in it with a hollow leather punch. Worked great!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts