Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a couple boxes on sale and used a #2 for the whole gig last night. It produced a more clear and focused sound with more highs in it. Articulation was more distinct and high tones popped out better. Normally I use Rico Royal #2 1/2. The vendor stated these reeds come from cane that results in a harder reed so that was borne out by my experience. The reed is a completely different cut - unfiled and with a longer bark section and shorter vamp. The bark also extends along the sides farther toward the tip than I've noted on others. I would normally think this cut would contribute to extended playing capability without going soft, and again, that was borne out. I could see buying more of these.
The #2 1/2 I tried before the gig was more of the same, naturally a little harder, but I almost left it on before I tried the #2 toward the end of sound check. I'll have to treat the #2 1/2s to an extended break-in but I think I will be able to use them.
The Glotin 'Groove' tenor reeds I'd say are more 'single-purpose' than the more flexible (literally) RR #2 1/2, but when your playing style matches up with that single purpose, like mine does, its a very good combination.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You do realize that Glotin stopped manufacturing single reeds more than 10 years ago? You can get lucky in a sale, but forget about getting a steady supply in the future...

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thanks for the tip!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,564 Posts
I think they’ve been discontinued but available and on sale at Weiner Music for the whole 14-ish years I’ve owned a saxophone 🤣
I’ve taken the bait a couple times and never been happy. Besides looking like someone’s blind uncle with no feeling in his fingertips cut them, even at a way-soft strength they take a lot of work to get vibrating because of the short vamp and thick tip. Good thing there’s way too many reed brands.

·
Registered
707 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
After reading this post I picked up a couple boxes from Weiner music and my experience agrees with 1saxman’s - great reed. And an interesting, unique cut. Plays a bit like an AW for me - full-bodied sounding but vibrant and responsive. I play a 3 on the AW’s and 3 Grooves seem about the same strength. Definitely quality cane and good finishing on all five reeds in first box. Thanks for the suggestion 1saxman. I may have to order a bunch.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I just bought a couple of boxes #2.5, my usual reed is Rigotti Gold Jazz 3M, went down a half based on other responses. I've only tried one reed so far....way too soft and buzzy for me. I'll try some more later but personally I don't think these reeds are for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just bought a couple of boxes #2.5, my usual reed is Rigotti Gold Jazz 3M, went down a half based on other responses. I've only tried one reed so far....way too soft and buzzy for me. I'll try some more later but personally I don't think these reeds are for me.
If you haven’t already, try moving your lig a little closer to tip. These reeds have a very short vamp as well as a shorter overall length. The only other reed I’ve played like this is the Pilgerstorfer from Austria - another interesting reed with a unique cut. I too find that they get buzzy but that goes away for me when a reposition the lig approx. 1/4” forward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts