Sax on the Web Forum banner

Gloger neck (and others) on Ref. 54 tenor

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
A few days ago I visited Saxofoonwinkel in Deventer NL.
I tested several nexks on my Ref. 54 tenor:

1. 2 Selmer SA 80 neck solid silver, older models
2. Selmer SA 80 standard, older models
3. Paraschos wooden neck, new
4. Gloger Handcraft neck solid copper, new
Why did I test necks? I wanted to know how different necks effect attack, sound, dynamics and intonation.

Results:
1. Selmer solid silver: very little difference compared with the original neck.
Slightly more overtones, nearly identical intonation.

2. Selmer standard: sound a bit dampened, intonation a bit bader (from E3 upwards definitely to sharp)

3. Paraschos: very nice and warm sound, better attack especially regarding the low register. PP easier to play, intonation was the same as with the original neck. But: stuffy D2!!!

4. Gloger: WOW!!!!
A bit more overtones, easier attack from bottom to top. Very homogeneous sound in the full register.
And much easier intonation. Especially D2, E2 and palm keys. D2 is very easy to be played with an open sound, homogeneous to its neighbours.
Playing pp is very easy from bottom to top, palm keys in pp and good intonation are superb. With the original neck it is a much harder job.
Playing louder is easier too. So the dynamic range of the gloger, compared with the original neck is extended.

Material:
Instrument: Selmer Reference 54 Tenor
MPC: Otto Link Tenney Slant Sig 7
Reeds: Alexander Superial 2,5 und AW-Reeds Jazz 2
Ligature: Rovner Light and EVO 5 (preferable)

I was so excited playing the Gloger that I couldn't resist and bought it directly.:)

I am very happy
Markus

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·
milandro, you are right. The Paraschos sound sweet and mellow. I liked the sound very much and it was easy to play. But the point was the stuffy D2 that makes me wonder. But as mentioned above, the Gloger was easy to play too and made intonation easier.
Paraschos gives a 5 year warranty. If you are familiar with German read the following article from Klaus Dapper http://www.saxophon-service.de/online/da2006-Paraschos.html
If you are planning to visit Saxofoonwinkel it is good to contact Paul first via email. As far as I've seen they do not have many Glogers directly available.
By the way, Gloger himself has his workshop in the Netherlands too.
Maybe visit him directly?

Markus

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I am sure it is worth trying a Gloger neck on your King. Gloger makes necks for different saxes. But be patient, I know that it takes time to reveive the new neck after purchase.

Markus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.