Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is Mike Korson and I'm a college saxophonist in Fort Worth, Texas. I recently posted a YouTube video of a recording that was taken recently of myself playing the Glazounov Saxophone Concerto with the TCU Symphony. I'm posting the video here because I would really like to hear some feedback from anybody on anything about what they hear! Anything!

I also thought this might be a great way to get my name "out in the open". Props to my saxophone teacher, Joe Eckert, for getting me to where I'm at today.

Enjoy and tell me what you think!

MK

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,589 Posts
Very nice playing indeed! Since you asked for comments, and everyone has an opinion....

1) On the first couple of pages, there is an alternation between somewhat lyrical style and playful little figures. You clipped the ends of the playful figures, which I didn't mind, but I think they could have been more contrasting -lighter and more playful.
2) You have a nice vibrato. You should do more with it. Decide places where you could enhance a static/resting-point/floating effect by perhaps using no vibrato at all. Use differing speeds and intensities to help set the mood more as it changes through the piece. I sensed your vibrato has basically an on and an off setting. You might want also to experiment with how you could tastefully propel a long note forward by gradually adding and intensifying vibrato and add that to your bag of tricks.
3) I don't have a score in front of me, but on the last page, there is a section with a bunch of 4-note figures that are basically transitional/filler material. You clipped the ends of some of them, turning them into short sausage-links. I think that you could perhaps re-examine your clipping of note-endings in general and see if you can find larger sequences/longer lines to expose to the listener.
4) I wish I had been tipped off to your performance -I might have made the drive over. Bravo!

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,885 Posts
Terrific job Mike, thanks for posting. Your tone and phrasing are lovely and match the piece very well. If I were to nitpick, it sounds like some of the fast passages aren't perfectly even and there are a couple of minor flubs, but overall I was really impressed and really enjoyed listening to this.

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
admin note

I merged the two identical threads.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I really enjoyed listening to you, especially your sound. I tried a little of the "Isfahan" as well, (love the Johnny Hodges flavor!). A very nice and relaxing seque from the Bulgarian clip I listened to this morning. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts