Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quite encouraging - a music video from Sony Music of Amy Dickson on soprano sax, playing Philip Glass.

She plays beautifully, making extensive use of circular breathing technique, and looks suitably glamorous to boot. The piece itself is interesting too.

It seems like the classical saxophone world has taken to circular breathing in a big way. Seems like it is required in quite a lot of the repertoire, especially those adapted from string or keyboard compositions where the long lines leave no room for one to steal a breath in between.

The clip :

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Isn't that how Coltrane woodshedded "Giant Steps" - arpeggiate the heck out of the changes. :twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
187 Posts
zorrosg :

MANY thanks for the clip! It, in one swell foop, displayed all three of my favorite things ... a good looking lady, the music of Philip Glass, and - um , err - oh yeah, a straight soprano sax!!!

Can anyone tell me what kind she was? (The sax, I mean - seriously. It looked like it might be a sterling silver Yani, Selmer?)

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
The circular breathing is pretty good and the intonation flawless. Another talented Aussie!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts