Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,477 Posts
Such a great drummer! I’m a huge fan of Cream.
I don’t know if we’re going to see any power trios ever again in the music world.
Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Police—3 of the best examples of that.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The fiery iconoclast finally finds peace. What a great musician, period. Between Baker, Moon, Mitchell, Bonham, even Starr and Watts, so many great English drummers from this era of rock.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I don’t know if we’re going to see any power trios ever again in the music world.
Sad to hear. Baker was probably the best of them. I believe I recall a Cream retrospective where Baker said he'd started out as a jazz drummer.

Speaking of power trios, don't forget Blue Cheer. They were a blues band but they were also the first heavy metal band.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I like most about him his crazy contributions to the community, volunteering at the fire department in Highlands Ranch and driving the fire truck never without a cigarette dangling from his mouth. Helping immigrants regardless of whether they were legal or not - which in the end got him deported. Grumpy old man with a heart of gold!

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Rush lasted longer than all those, and only retired a few years ago.

For Ginger Baker fans who'd like to explore some of his less "traditional" work (i.e., neither classic rock nor some variety of jazz), check out the 1986 album by Public Image Ltd. entitled simply album. That is, unless you bought the CD, in which case the title was compact disc. PiL was the postpunk group formed by John (Rotten) Lydon after the Sex Pistols imploded. The drummers on this album are Baker and Tony Williams. Guitar by Steve Vai; bass by Bill Laswell. Very cool work.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Huge fan. Usually when people this or that musician "changed music," it's a huge exaggeration. But Ginger really did change the role of the drummer in rock bands, and in popular music, and it's hard to overstate that.

When "Sunshine of Your Love" came out, nobody I knew had ever heard anything like the drumming on that: a rock song with the accents on 1 and 3? The double bass drums? The melodic tom fills? It was amazingly powerful, yet still nuanced, and it was just the tip of the iceberg. The more I listened to Cream, the more I realized that Baker was always doing something interesting and unusual, and that's part of what made them one of the great groups of all time, IMO.

Yes, Ginger considered himself a jazz drummer. That's what he played prior to Cream, and he always said he thought of Cream as a jazz group when they played live. I don't care what you call it. It sounded great.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
1,994 Posts
Holy Crap! What a great talent and painfully intense person!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts