Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gimmick or of some value?....
Has anybody of seen or heard of these? A mouthpiece modification? (link to EBAY Ad below)
"baffle" inside the chamber of the mouthpiece by "adding a specially designed adhesive inserts. You can leave it in permanently, or remove it when you want to return to standard."
"Sax Baffle is a specially shaped plastic piece that you stick on the inside of your mouthpiece- about a quarter inch from the tip rail.

How does it work?
-- It increases the velocity of the airflow through the mouthpiece.

Result?
-- Quicker response, BIGGER SOUND!

Compatibility?
--Works on any Soprano Sax, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax or Bari Sax standard mouthpiece.
(also great on Bass Clarinet!) One size fits all!"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alto-Sax-JAZZ-mouthpiece-mod-fits-any-brand-/300568384914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item45fb459592
....what is that they say?...if it sounds too good to be true...:tsk:
Fester

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,131 Posts
These have been reviewed here at SOTW many times. As I recall, nobody liked them.

·
SOTW Pragmatist
2,900 Posts
Well of course it works, there is no way that is can *not* work as a restriction in that area speeds up the airstream and brightens the timbre. It will also change the total internal volume of the piece, perhaps cause you to pull the piece out a fraction. It's just another route to a high baffle. I'd say just go get a Rico Metalite if you want try a high baffle. It's the finest several hundred dollar mouthpiece that $25 dollars can by. (not joking here) Wanna try a higher baffle first? Blue tacky clay, raise the floor of your existing baffle by however percentage you'd like to try. Quick. removable. and dirt cheap. No " speed bump" in the middle of your baffle to add turbulence to the airstream.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I've used them. I don't dislike them but they don't produce as much of a result as a properly designed baffle that goes all the way across. But they could be worth a try.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
Years ago here in Australia the older guys used to talk about how the visiting US swing guys in the Second World War made baffles out of chewing gum. I bought a packet of chewing gum for 5c and tried it. It works. So I bought a Berg Larsen. I don't know how much gum costs now but if you want to try the effect of these inserts for bugger all expense....

·
6,715 Posts
Apart from my SR Tech & Metalites I have added a baffle to every mouthpiece that I have owned. Usually from glass fibre resin paste, I have had hours of fun changing the sound fettling about with the shape & height.
Usually I am convinced that I have found "the sound"....until I try it again the following morning.....then I dig out the baffle.
I have a STM in which the home made baffle remains; it has a really good sound but the tip is too small....a 5*

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Don't use US gum in a Berg or it may sound like a Link.
Hehheh, love it ! :mrgreen:

But, on a serious note, the baffle shape could also be 'un-edged' by filling in, e.g. the typical bullet cutout on a Berg. Using European gum, of course :lick:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Years ago here in Australia the older guys used to talk about how the visiting US swing guys in the Second World War made baffles out of chewing gum. I bought a packet of chewing gum for 5c and tried it. It works. So I bought a Berg Larsen. I don't know how much gum costs now but if you want to try the effect of these inserts for bugger all expense....
I used to do this as well, about 20 years ago, when I played sax in a pop band. A bit rough sound, but it worked well ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
There's European gum? I thought Europeans spit upon gum (figuratively speaking, of course) as an American barbarism?
Nah - the Pilgrim Fathers brought it over to you in 1620.

It was one of the few things that Puritans could legally and morally do, chew... [rolleyes]

·
6,715 Posts
Nah - the Pilgrim Fathers brought it over to you in 1620.

It was one of the few things that Puritans could legally and morally do, chew... [rolleyes]
Still, as ever, considered very bad form....used only by the likes of Football Club managers & Trade Union officials.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts