Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at doing some shows in senior's residences. I've got a good number of tracks I did for guest ent shows on ships. I'm running the tracks with Go Button on my iPhone, the charts are in ForScore on my iPad, and I'll be getting either a Bose L1 Compact or Yorkville EXM 400 system to run the tracks through.

The bread looks like it's going to be OK too - $100 for a one hour gig within a 30 minute drive. I know a singer who has 50 gigs booked in December alone doing this type of thing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,275 Posts
Sounds good. You may not even need a mike but it probably would be good if you could go through some kind of mixer to get some light effects. I've played a couple of those 'senior' jobs and it gives me the willies knowing I'm older than some of the inmates... I also work with a guitar player/singer who does as many of them as your friend - he can hardly work in the band gigs.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm looking at doing some shows in senior's residences. I've got a good number of tracks I did for guest ent shows on ships. I'm running the tracks with Go Button on my iPhone, the charts are in ForScore on my iPad, and I'll be getting either a Bose L1 Compact or Yorkville EXM 400 system to run the tracks through.

The bread looks like it's going to be OK too - $100 for a one hour gig within a 30 minute drive. I know a singer who has 50 gigs booked in December alone doing this type of thing.
How did you put your backing tracks together, what did you use?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Cool, I used this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/behringer-ultratone-k450fx-keyboard-amp-pa-system when I do solo stuff for guitar and mic, and its pretty straight forward and even have built-in fx that you can apply to whatever channel you want. You can connect your laptop or whatever backing track player you have. Weighs around 33 lbs, but feels like 60 after a long day so I usually strapped it to a small baggage dolley for easy lugging around.
And I can easily hook up a guitarist, a keyboard and a vocalist in it if I want :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts

Well, Merlin, you must be Merlin the Magician if you can book fifty, one hour gigs per month for $100 an hour.

I use a 40 watt bass amp for my backing tracks. My amp is called a "Block" and I bought used for under $100. Easy to carry and powerful enough to play small jazz venues on a bass guitar. Right now I play the tracks through my used Dell computer, but I just bought a tablet for $30 which I'm probably going to use in place of the computer. The trick for me is to keep it light. Sometimes I have to walk a long way with my setup. Oh, and be careful of this. If your backing tracks are both very elaborate and realistic, your horn can get lost in backing track.

Also, never tell a nursing home to pay you what they can or they won't pay you anything.

·
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you put your backing tracks together, what did you use?
I'm using the arrangements I did for my cruise ship guest entertainer show. I recorded everything so that I'd have full or partial tracks to supplement a ship orchestra. The charts are scored for four horns and rhythm. I tracked the saxes myself, sequenced the bass and keys, and had live players do the brass and drum tracks. I can also create new tracks using VSTs in Reaper.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I have friends who are a duo that do the "health care circuit" they've bought a couple homes with the money. He plays keys, she plays guitar and small drum kit, both sing. they use two Roland KC500 amps, and I have seen them come in 5 minutes before they are to start and they hit at the set starting time, they have it down to a science. (That is a restaurant gig they do the first and third Friday each month).

I have been working toward similar, sing/sax and tracks. Maui 5 for amplification, small mixer and run tracks either off my tablet or laptop.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are these gigs generally evening affairs? Like a lot of folks, I have a day job that takes away any chance of me doing this before early evening, but what a great idea. Also, what are some sample songs you might play for this group?

FWIW, I bought a Bose L1 Model II which has a bit more fire-power than the Compact, but the two seem to very similar in sound. These are so easy to set up and use in multiple settings that I couldn't resist getting one for myself. And you have the bonus of having a versatile system for other venues and situations (weddings, small bars, etc...0 (plus bonus of having a very visible Bose name on the equipment). I know it is kind of malarkey but the general public has lifted Bose to legendary status because of their marketing. All in all, though, it sounds great and is easy to tote.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are these gigs generally evening affairs? Like a lot of folks, I have a day job that takes away any chance of me doing this before early evening, but what a great idea. Also, what are some sample songs you might play for this group?

FWIW, I bought a Bose L1 Model II which has a bit more fire-power than the Compact, but the two seem to very similar in sound. These are so easy to set up and use in multiple settings that I couldn't resist getting one for myself. And you have the bonus of having a versatile system for other venues and situations (weddings, small bars, etc...0 (plus bonus of having a very visible Bose name on the equipment). I know it is kind of malarkey but the general public has lifted Bose to legendary status because of their marketing. All in all, though, it sounds great and is easy to tote.
Around here mostly day time, weekdays.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,908 Posts
Completely depends on how much you want to spend, but, the Bose L1 with Tonematch is a tremendous solo system.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I'm going to start doing the same thing this Summer. What songs did you find go over best? Are there songs that you play without any backing tracks? Thanks much.

·
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to start doing the same thing this Summer. What songs did you find go over best? Are there songs that you play without any backing tracks? Thanks much.
My seniors show was put together from the big band and movie/TV music shows I put together for ships. I just picked stuff that would most likely be familiar to the target audience.

I ended up using a small Fishman acoustic amp at first, but eventually got a Yorkville EXM70. It's got Bluetooth, three mic/instrument inputs, and built in effects.

I do my own tracks, and had already recorded live players for it. The ship orchestras I worked with on P&O had four horns, 3 rhythm, so I wrote it to work with that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My seniors show was put together from the big band and movie/TV music shows I put together for ships. I just picked stuff that would most likely be familiar to the target audience.

I ended up using a small Fishman acoustic amp at first, but eventually got a Yorkville EXM70. It's got Bluetooth, three mic/instrument inputs, and built in effects.

I do my own tracks, and had already recorded live players for it. The ship orchestras I worked with on P&O had four horns, 3 rhythm, so I wrote it to work with that.
Hi Merlin,

Thanks much. I'm going to have this nailed down by the Fall. Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts