Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know almost nothing on gig bags. I was thinking about getting one because I have to carry my sax around alot with me for short stops but I don't want to carry a huge heavy case around. I also don't have a huge budget. Can anyone give me any info on what cases are good.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,333 Posts
I got a contoured light weight Gator GL tenor case (not a gig bag) that weighs next to nothing (7lb?) and offers a lot more protection and storage than any gig bag Ive ever seen. I think it was $60 used on ebay. You can get them new for only $70-80..but they wont ship to Canada so used it was.

Its really amazingly light for the protection it offers.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
soulfish said:
I know almost nothing on gig bags. I was thinking about getting one because I have to carry my sax around alot with me for short stops but I don't want to carry a huge heavy case around. I also don't have a huge budget. Can anyone give me any info on what cases are good.
If you value your instrument you will not get a soft case.

Get a Protec Contoured Pro Pac case. Can be had at the wwbw for $99 shipped. GREAT case.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Canadiain said:
I got a contoured light weight Gator GL tenor case (not a gig bag) that weighs next to nothing (7lb?) and offers a lot more protection and storage than any gig bag Ive ever seen..
The Gator is probably the closest thing to a gig bag you can find that isn't a gig bag, yet gives more protection and, in some cases, is even lighter. I had one and liked it a lot. I don't think it's 7 lbs BTW.. Empty, I could hold the tenor GL with my pinky finger. It's amazing in that regard.

I do think the ProTech offers more protection than the Gator, but with that protection comes more weight and bulk. I really liked my Gator but the ProTech will do you fine, also. I've had two of them as well. At any rate, consider looking at alternatives for a soft bag.

·
3,333 Posts
I think you are right Gary, I picked it up yesterday and thought "There is no way this is 7lb". It really is very light. The gator website has the Alto at 3.2 lb, but no info for the Tenor. It cant be a lot more, mayee 5lb tops?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet choices guy, I'm diggin' the Gator Case and I'm trying to find a good price arond my house for one. I prefer to buy in person and not over the web, I find it easier. (Bad expirences with the web.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gator GL

Hi, I'm looking for a gig bag, and really like the idea of the Gator bag you're talking about, but have just read some reviews which say that some saxes don't fit properly - apparently mark VIs are ok, does anyone know about the selmer reference 54?
Cheers

·
27,650 Posts
Brummie Lovano said:
Hi, I'm looking for a gig bag, and really like the idea of the Gator bag you're talking about, but have just read some reviews which say that some saxes don't fit properly - apparently mark VIs are ok, does anyone know about the selmer reference 54?
Cheers
My answer is "I don't know", but they're about the same size aren't they? My JK fit in the Gator, which is one reason I got it (JKs being hard to fit), so if the JK fits, I would suspect there would be a little extra room in the case for standard-sized saxes. But a little strategically placed block of foam should solve the problem.

·
3,333 Posts
I agree that the ref 54 should fit no problem. When horns dont fit cases its usually either a "big bell" type or something with the non selmer bell key mechanism configuration ..whatever the proper technical term for that is... where the bell keys are not operated directly from the rods but through a secondary pivot. Sorry...not describing it very well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys - it was someone with a Jupiter that the case was too large for, others with Keilworth and an original mark VI were fine, and you're right I can always put padding in if not. It is really that light then? I've been carrying a hiscox and it's killer on my shoulder however I carry it. It looks pretty sturdy - I'm always a bit worried having the case on my back that if the strap gave way I couldn't save it!

·
3,333 Posts
They are pricey though, and I would be amazed if they are ligher than the Gator, especially as they are hard cases.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Sax techs tell me they love gig bags because so much sax tech work results from their use. I have a Reunion Blues bag that I never use anymore except to store a backup horn because I had a horn damaged in it. I won't use 'em any more even on short hops. Most accidents happen within a mile of home. You never know.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Get something with a hard shell and preferable form fitted. I like the BAM Trekking case (which isn't a very hard shell but nice and light). The J Winter cases can be good and fairly light, and for the money, I'd go with the SKB (pro series for the neck slot).

·
Registered
881 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Sax techs tell me they love gig bags because so much sax tech work results from their use...
Soft or hard gig bags? I have not had any bad experience with the Barone case, but have been very careful not to drop it or anything. Wouldn't like to drop any kind of case, even the standard cases, BTW.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Soft. I guess it's a semantic matter, but to me a hard, contoured case is not a gig bag: it's a hard case (like Scarface in prison with his 300-pound "wife"). A good hard contoured case I will use; a soft one, no.

·
3,333 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Soft. I guess it's a semantic matter, but to me a hard, contoured case is not a gig bag: it's a hard case (like Scarface in prison with his 300-pound "wife"). A good hard contoured case I will use; a soft one, no.
Have you seen a Gator in the flesh? I would not consider it soft at all, but its not a hard shell either.

I wouldnt use it as a flight case, but its certainly way way better than a gig bag if weight or bulk are a problem with the regular case, and the price is very reasonable too compared to similar products.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
I'll echo the recommendation on the Gator GL.

I have one as a spare case that I use when I don't want to lug a heavy case around. It fits everything I have, which includes a Buescher 400 TH&C (with it's huge bell, although that takes a bit of persuasion), a Conn 30m, and a MkVI. So, I'd bet money it would fit a 54.

The protection is WAY better than a gig bag, I wouldn't check it as baggage or anything silly like that, but it's perfectly adequate for around-town use, and it has lots of big pockets for your junk. It's not quite as good as a hard case, but not even in the same league as a gig bag.

And I just checked on the bathroom scale, it's between 4 and 5 pounds empty.

Pete

·
27,650 Posts
I've had a Gator and I presently use a VGV, which is the same as a Barone. I would say the VGV looks more elegant (stiched Italian leather) and is more compact than the Gator. It is also stronger than the Gator but not by a great margin. The Gator has a lot of capacity for carrying stuff and the VGV has none.

I switched cases mainly because the VGV is the most compact tenor case I've yet to see and I wanted that so I wouldn't have any grief from airline personnel carrying my tenor on flights, some of which are on small airplanes.

As noted above, there is a marked price difference between the two and the Gator, although maybe not very protective, is a heck of a lot better IMO than any gig bag.

BTW Brummie, I hate to break this to you, but the Hiscox is a light, in comparison to some cases very light, case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts