Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have some old and new recorded soundclips of 'Honky Tonk Blues" played on four mouthpieces with a very big tip opening (> 10* or 0.135 inch). These mouthpieces are used: a metal Florida USA 11* (1960-1970 model), a metal Early Babbitt 12 (1975-1980 model, signed as tip 11, but it measures 0.150, which is a 12), a metal Berg Larsen 150/2/SMS (2000-2010 model) and a modern metal NY Super Tone Master 11 (2003 model). All takes are recorded on a Selmer SBA tenorsax of 1952 and a La Voz medium reed.

I just compiled one track out of the four takes and uploaded it to YouTube with a picture movie behind it showing which mouthpiece is played where in the clip. By opening the detailed description under the video you get a time index, which makes it easy to jump directly to a certain part of the recording.

Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmz1Gx-Bs80

or

Time index:
00:00 - Intro (no sax)
00:26 - Head metal Earbly Babbitt 12 (0.150 inch tip)
00:52 - Solo metal Berg Larsen 150/2/SMS (0.150 inch tip)
02:40 - Solo metal Otto Link Florida USA 11* (0.145 inch tip)
04:28 - Solo metal Otto Link NY Super Tone Master 11 (0.140 inch tip)
06:16 - Solo metal Otto Link Early Babbitt 12 (0.150 inch tip)

My personal preference goes to the Early Babbitt 12, second the Florida USA 11*, third the Berg Larsen 150/2 and last the NY STM 11. I was surprised about the little difference between the Berg Larsen and the Vintage Otto Links. My normal main piece is an Otto Link Florida no USA 10*, but my recently bought Early Babbitt 12 is a runner up :).

Another comparison clip with four Otto Link 10* mouthpieces (including my main MPC) can be found here:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Early-Babbitt-vs-Tone-Edge-vs-NV-Tone-Master

As I always state in my soundclip threads: I just post these clips here for information (and yes, I realise that not many players will have or play these big tip pieces :)). Please don't bother to much on my playing, I'm just an intermediate player who likes to collect mouthpieces and make these kind of (silly!) comparisons.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Re: Giant Tip MPC Comparison Blues - Florida USA 11* vs Early Babbit 12 vs Berg Larsen 150 vs NY STM

As with the other clips, I like the EB the most. Second would be the NY STM, then Florida, then the Berg.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Giant Tip MPC Comparison Blues - Florida USA 11* vs Early Babbit 12 vs Berg Larsen 150 vs NY STM

Thanks for listening sugaki :). The NY STM clip was recorded last year with a 'fresh' La Voz reed that sounded somewhat brighter then they normally do. For me (in this clip) it was a bit too bright and less spread then the other pieces. I normally prefer a darker sounding piece with some edge when pushed. The EB 12 fits that well, like my Florida no USA 10* in the other clip.

·
Registered
628 Posts

The Early Babbit 12 wins again!

·
Registered
338 Posts

EB Link for me.

Maybe that's why I've got one too - but just a .105" here... ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts

Berg!

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for listening and the votes guys: EB 12 is on the lead till now :).

EB Link for me.

Maybe that's why I've got one too - but just a .105" here... ;)
I have five EB's in my collection (8, 8*, 10, 10* and 12) and also like them (the small and big tips). The larger tips can take more air, that's why I prefer them when I have to play in a loud environment without mic (big band rehearsals for instance). Soundwise I like the Florida no USA pieces even more, they are in general a bit darker then EB's.

My EB 8* was for a long time my main piece (I started on it!) and I still like it very much. I recently recorded "All Of Me" on it (with a Fibracell reed) for the TOTM thread of last December. Also did a take on my present main piece (Florida no USA 10*) with a La Voz reed. See below links, in case you would like to hear the differences in sound:

"All Of Me" on:
- Otto Link Early Babbitt 8* - Fibracell 3: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11269856
- Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11269857

1 - 7 of 7 Posts