Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Branford told my mentor a few months ago that Coltrane never played Giant Steps live. I've scoured YouTube and can't find any live performances or recordings of live performances. Can anyone dispute this?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
depends of what " live performance” means.

this appears to be a TV take which of course in those years was unedited and often live in front of a studio audience.

But of course you hear the voice at the start which suggests that they made several takes.

·
4,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Live, as in, in front of an audience rather than in a recording studio. I know it may be impossible to say for sure as obviously there are multiple club dates that weren't recorded, etc. It just sounds like one of those stories that could be true, for some reason.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts

this appears to be a TV take which of course in those years was unedited and often live in front of a studio audience.

But of course you hear the voice at the start which suggests that they made several takes.

Did someone digitally alter this? Highly suspect. Listen and watch closely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,302 Posts

Sounds like accordion music. lol

·
Premium Member
15,478 Posts
He may not have played it live, but it will forever be played live in front of audiences by saxophonists all over the world.
You can count on that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Branford told my mentor a few months ago that Coltrane never played Giant Steps live. I've scoured YouTube and can't find any live performances or recordings of live performances. Can anyone dispute this?
I'm pretty sure there is no live recording of him playing it. Which of course doesn't mean he NEVER played it live. Who knows what got played during the late set on a random weeknight in some club somewhere? But given the wealth of live recordings (and bootlegs) we have from Trane, it's clear at any rate that this wasn't a tune he played regularly.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,007 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no live recording of him playing it. Which of course doesn't mean he NEVER played it live. Who knows what got played during the late set on a random weeknight in some club somewhere? But given the wealth of live recordings (and bootlegs) we have from Trane, it's clear at any rate that this wasn't a tune he played regularly.
+1. There's a difference between saying it was never recorded live vs played live. Easy enough to show that no known live recordings exist (or can be found); not so easy to say, or prove, that Coltrane never played it in a live performance somewhere with no one recording it. Nowadays we are used to everything in public being recorded (usually poorly, on iPhones, etc), but of course back then most live performances were not recorded.

·
1,102 Posts
I've got a lot of Coltrane bootlegs. Not one of them has a performance of Giant Steps. Of course that doesn't prove anything.

·
Registered
956 Posts
by the Fall I will have new cd out with a tune based on Giant Steps changes; best part is a banjo solo. Yes, banjo. By Ray Suhy, whom I happen to think is the best guitarist in the world.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The footage used in milandro's link comes from Coltrane's appearance on Ralph Gleason's TV program Jazz Casual: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3_wiiH4Pc - on the program he played Afro Blue, Alabama, and Impressions.

I imagine he would have probably played Giant Steps live at some point either before or after it was first recorded (or both) but who knows for sure.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts