Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
whoever says these are not good saxes is wrong. I love mine, although the ergos are a bit not-so-desirable, and it plays a bit on the stuffy side, it somehow manages to perform great when all is said and done, and it is my favorite Martin I have tried. Wasn't the original Handcraft model designed over 100 years ago?

·
Registered
45 Posts
The Indiana is great!

I've played all kinds of Mk VIs, 10M, Martins, etc... The Indiana has great sound and a good comfortable keyboard. Excellent horn for small dollars.

Try a softer reed on your Indiana. Martins seem to like a softer reed compared to the other horns. That may take care of your stuffiness.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My Indiana just took the place of a Yamaha 62 alto, and I'm trying not to look back...

The yamaha will probably get a LOT of use again soon for my classical playing, but you put me in front of a band, and i'm gonna play my Martin over that trumpet section any day!:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
candiceartisan said:
I play my Indiana tenor all the time now. My B & S Allora is no longer my favorite tenor. Indianas are great!
sorry to kinda highjack the thread a little but are b&s alloras any good? student/intermed./pro? they have one in a local pawn shop for hardly anything.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I picked up a minty fresh Indiana tenor on Ebay, with original case and mouthpiece. It looked like somebody had put it in a closet since the 1950's, just a few scratches around the neck strap hook. Not stuffy at all, it has a big big bold sound, ergos could be better but not bad at all. I've seen a couple minty tenors go for $800 to $900 on Ebay, I think people are getting wise to how great these horns are.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yep, great horns. I picked one just like that ebay unit a few years ago, and it sounds sweet. but, be careful. There are several versions of the Indiana. The early ones with silver/nickel keywork and adjustable thumb rest are the best. The later version with brass keywork is not so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts