Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Impressive. I think a shorter version would have been fine.
The problem with giant steps is has become known as the top of difficulty and less for musical appeal. Stresses me out.
Coltrane didnt seem stressed out when he play it. Ruined it with the athletic approach people take to it.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Whoa, If somebody tells you, female singers can't hold key and form, point them to this amazing lady!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Female Jazz singers have a hard time singing in just one key and it usually is not the one on the chart which the Band is playing.
This women is amazing I am not a fan of scat which I consider gibberish to instrumental background I rate it just above Beat box but her voice is lyrical and range is impressive combined with great control. I think the French accent helps a lot.

Giant Steps is a B to master and most players don't or are not capable of doing so especially doing their own improvisation with it at a masterful level. For those who don't like it or don't understand why it is so demanding here is an old article with a video explaining it.
Enjoy and possibly get a better appreciation of it.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,828 Posts
Female Jazz singers have a hard time singing in just one key and it usually is not the one on the chart which the Band is playing.
This women is amazing I am not a fan of scat which I consider gibberish to instrumental background I rate it just above Beat box but her voice is lyrical and range is impressive combined with great control. I think the French accent helps a lot.

Giant Steps is a B to master and most players don't or are not capable of doing so especially doing their own improvisation with it at a masterful level. For those who don't like it or don't understand why it is so demanding here is an old article with a video explaining it.
Enjoy and possibly get a better appreciation of it.
Being a woman has nothing to do with whether a person can sing and carry a tune on key. Not a thing, just sexism. Get real.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Being a woman has nothing to do with whether a person can sing and carry a tune on key. Not a thing, just sexism. Get real.
You have to chill and take a breath, this woman was amazing and what I threw out is a standard band comment I guess if I had included men you would not throw sexiest at me?
My Bad so you good with most Jazz singers be they men or women cannot sing in the key called?

I will try hard to be more inclusive when I make a sarcastic comment. Just don't slap me, please.

·
4,828 Posts
You have to chill and take a breath, this woman was amazing and what I threw out is a standard band comment I guess if I had included men you would not throw sexiest at me?
My Bad so you good with most Jazz singers be they men or women cannot sing in the key called?

I will try hard to be more inclusive when I make a sarcastic comment. Just don't slap me, please.
Breathing fine and no need to chill. There’s no other way to read your statement:

“Female Jazz singers have a hard time singing in just one key and it usually is not the one on the chart which the Band is playing.”

You said two things here: Female jazz singers have a hard time singing in just one key. AND it usually isn’t the one on the chart the band is playing.

The second part Is totally fine. Yes. Singers, and not just women, often require transposing for range…that’s on the band.
Your first statement seems not too bad, but still, why do you think women can’t carry a tune and stay on key?…except it’s also a doubling down on the sexist remark made clearly by the poster above you saying women don’t know how to stay on key or hold form. Guilt by association is still guilt. Parroting bad behavior is still bad behavior.

Sure, It could be innocent and hopefully is, but it’s written on a public forum and all kinds of people can read it however it looks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Have you never heard this statement made by band members? You have to get out more, it is said in jest at times about whatever gender is singing.
It is called satire, get a sense of humour and stop trying to mold the world to your bleached reality.
I don't get offended when I hear White men can't jump but I guess that is due to my white male cis Christian privilege?

It is obvious I was impressed with the women singing in the clip, do you honestly believe that I think all-female jazz singers can't sing in key?
You then must assume I believe all the great female jazz vocalists could not sing in key as well. That is a disjointed leap of bigoted logic.
I guess this is triggering for you but it is humour not to your liking but it is. It is so outrageous that no one would take the statement seriously. But apparently, you did!

You need to not filter and sensor everything so hard just relax and enjoy life.

·
4,828 Posts
Yeah, Keep explaining yourself instead of just breathing, realizing someone else might have a point, and moving along. I believe the words you quoted and typed; that’s the available context and it’s what you said.

Again…Yes, It’s common to have to transpose for a singer to fit their range. It’s sexist to say (or quote and agree with) that women who sing can’t stay in one key and don’t know how to follow a form. There’s a big difference.

·
Super Moderator
26,465 Posts
I bet she can't sing Tommy Flannagan's piano solo. :)

Reactions: Tonehole

·
Registered
778 Posts
swperry1 Do you honestly believe that I think female singers can not sing in key? Then you must also believe that I believe that the great female vocalists of Jazz could not sing in key? Or Opera which I adore that all those divas sing off-key?

Answer this simple question, do you believe I think women cannot sing in key? Yes or No

Is it racist to say White men cannot jump? Yes or No
Yet I bet you think it is racist to say Blacks are good at basketball. Yes or No

Show yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts