Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,651 Posts
Sounds like rookie/chump work. I'd put them on my junk mail list.

I fell for something similar to that one time. A well-known singer wanted me to do a solo over all his layers of stuff, no pay, just for the honor of recording with "him." So I consented. [I was young, adventuresome, naive, didn't know what to expect.] Anyhow, we had to go out of town and I rode with them. They started recording around 10 AM. I sat around, bored out of my skull, and, at 10 PM they were ready for me. I was so peeved off and frustrated (mostly at myself for being a chump)from hanging out all day that I refused to do it. :twisted:

In retrospect, because I broke my word, I was lucky to get a ride home. :lol:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,651 Posts
garyinla said:
Sitting around for 12 hours watching a well known singer and his musicians record in a studio could be very educational and lots of contacts to be made there.

But why woudl a well known singer not be willing to pay a session sax player? that is not nice. But maybe he felt he was doing you a favor inviting you to participate and you werent in the budget.

Sometimes people try to do favors for you and you may not realize it at the time.

Also leaving the guy stranded at the last minute with no sax player when you promised to do it isnt so good.
True, but unless I wanted to be a sound engineer working in the booth, I learned most all that I needed to know in the first half hour or so. There was much overdubbing, retakes, tweaking, etc. A totally electronic setup.
This was back in the 70s.

To save money; it'd been a while since his last recording. And, I was young and inexperienced, even though I could do the job. If my head had been screwed on right I probably could have gotten something out of this situation.

I feel bad because I was sorta biting the hand that feeds me. But, it was a guitar band, they wanted one sax thing overriding all their layers, on one tune; which I didn't know going into it; again, my fault for not researching.
I was po'd because I thought it such a waste of time for so little (on my part). So I decided to cut off my nose to spite my face, so to speak.

As I say: I was lucky to get a ride home. Fortunately, I was gigging and friends with the guitar player, and he covered my butt for me.

I was frustrated on two points: Not being professional and being philosophically opposed to this particular commercial scene.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts