Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guarhhhhh :( I've been playing Eb clarinet for a while now. I started it in late november, and have been enjoying it every since. But i can barely stand the incredible pain it causes me to play! I mainly play my Bb clarinet, but since i also really enjoy my Eb, i try to practice both instruments respectively each day. Since i've been playing the Eb clarinet so much, my mouth feels like i stuck a bunch of nails in it. I have cuts all over the inside of my mouth, and there are teeth marks all over my lips that burn like hell. Don't remind of the time i had lemonade with lunch after practice *shiver*. anyway, the Eb has been cutting up my mouth for weeks now. I've been practicing the upper register, since i need (a lot of) improvement up there. I find it hard even to play the Bb now! my mouth just feels like i ate a bowl of nails, and i can barely stand about 20 minutes of practice before the pain makes me stop playing. I tried putting tooth guards over my front teeth, which actually improved my upper register greatly, but helped the pain very little. I'm finding it more and more difficult to practice with all this pain! please help, i feel if i take a break from practicing, i'll loose progress. I'm auditioning for all-county clarinet and Eb clarinet, and the audition is in april. I gotta be able to play! THIS LITTLE DEVIL IS KILLING ME!

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Stop biting? Softer reeds possibly? I know these things are obvious, but still.. If you've really hurt your lip that much you need to take a break for at least a couple of days as well. Surely?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
It sounds like you are biting and you should seek the advice of a qualified instructor, a clarinetist ASAP. Judging by your description of the pain your are experiencing: You should also stop practicing ASAP and allow your wounds to heal before you cause permanent damage. Don't be a hero. The reasons for your biting can be corrected by a good instuctor, after you've healed up a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,305 Posts
The Eb clarinet sould be no more 'painful' to play than the Bb.
If your tearing up the inside of your mouth you're reeds are WAY TO HARD.
Lay off the practice for a week or so and drop the reed strength by at least 1.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Relax that lip and lose the hard reeds. Use the upper outer part of your lip to get that embouchure in the correct shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts