Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flying with my alto this summer, flying Southwest with early boarding.... I'm buying the smallest hard case I can find so I know it will fit in the overhead...my question is getting through security...my thought (tell me if this is crazy) is to put any metal accessories in a clear bag to run through separately....the goal is to not have tsa folks handling my horn...thoughts?

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,641 Posts
It isn't crazy, it may save you a few minutes because small metal things can appear top be ammunition or detonator and being up front and ready tpo explain is not a bad idea. I've done this whenever travelling to trade shows with cases of mouthpieces. It won't actually save loads of time, but at leasrt you are ready for it. The main thing that caught their attention was a solid silver PPT mouthpiece as the scanners pick up dense objects like that as more dangerous I presume.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I just flew Southwest out of San Diego a couple weeks ago with a tenor. You should have no problems finding overhead luggage space with early boarding. Other than a mouthpiece and ligature and possibly a neck strap (none of which should trigger any TSA issues), what other sort of metal accessories would you be worried about?

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
backup mouthpiece, metal reedholder, neckstrap....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
saxophone, flutes and lil' bit of clarinet
7,381 Posts
... I'm buying the smallest hard case I can find so I know it will fit in the overhead...
Which case are you buying?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I frequently fly Southwest out of San Diego with my tenor and have no problem - however, I am a "TSA-Pre", so my shoes remain on and my carry-on stays closed.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I too have flown Southwest with my tenor on a few occasions with no problems. Southwest is generally very good and accommodating when it comes to this sort of stuff so I wouldn't worry about getting your horn on. Security is a different matter and a separate issue where different airports seems to handle things differently. Here in Denver (DIA) I've never been stopped for anything but on my return flights out of Newark NJ they've pulled my silver plated JJ DV Chi out every time I've carried it on. The X-ray machines can't see through silver so this looks suspicious and they always ask to inspect it by hand.

The only issue I've ever had traveling with an instrument was with my flute many years ago. For a while after 9/11 security was doing random bag checks at the gates just before boarding. I had my flute in the French-style case in my carry-on and while one guy was "wanding" me down two other clowns had removed the flute from my carry-on and were attempting to open the case upside down at shoulder height. I jumped away from the guy with the wand to rescue my flute before it ended up on the floor. They were unhappy with me, I was unhappy with them, but it all worked out in the end.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ahhh.... It's the silver.... I had a guy inspect my solid silver Guardala made by Sakshama for about 10 minutes. I thought he was contemplating if I could stab somebody with it!!!!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I agree with Pete. There are so many variables at airports (especially in the U.S.) that it wouldn't hurt to put anything that might raise eyebrows into a plastic bag and put it in a tray and let it go through the scanner. It's a good thing that you have early boarding on Southwest. Otherwise, you might have problems with putting anything in an overhead.

Pre check is great. If you fly internationally regularly, it's good to have Global Entry. I think it costs $100.00 per year.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
While flying within Canada in the past year, I've twice had security remove my mouthpieces and ligs for inspection. My biggest fear was that they'd drop 'em.

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Which case are you buying?
debating between the bam cabine and the eastman....my biggest fear is tsa handling my horn...or my mouthpiece...they like to touch everything, which is what makes me nervous...

·
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ahhh.... It's the silver.... I had a guy inspect my solid silver Guardala made by Sakshama for about 10 minutes. I thought he was contemplating if I could stab somebody with it!!!!
You guys have conviced me to take the HR Pillinger as backup instead of the metal Selmer jazz....hopefully a HR piece won't look like a weapon....thanks for all the suggestions....

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
I just flew from Santa Ana to Phoenix and back without any horns.
I got checked because my shorts were "bunched up" in the back around a pocket.
The last time I had a bag of nuts in my luggage, same thing.
Is this a pattern?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,361 Posts
I've flown many times with my soprano (straight and curved) as carry-on and never had questions asked about it. I declare my firearm in checked baggage (following all the rules) and that always goes smoothly, too. Sometimes, I just take mouthpieces and reed-guards in a small pouch in my carry-on, but those are not questioned.

I suppose there could be some over-zealous or uninformed TSA agent who would ask to look inside the case or look inside my carry-on, but my experience tells me it would be a rare event. Even if they asked to look in it (which they do whenever I see them checking someone's carry-on), they ask to do so in the presence of the owner. Yes, there are always exceptions, but again, I think those are rare. DAVE

1 - 17 of 17 Posts