Sax on the Web Forum banner

getting strange again

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Harvey 
#1 ·
A free jazz style ditty with some strange symmetry played by the guitarist (with me following it?). Drums, piano, bass etc. added by the guitarist afterward. Seems messy but has something happening. Not sure about this one.

Comments?

#3 ·
Not the same guitarist. This guy is an Ex-Pro living the life of a recluse. It's a 45 minute drive to his place on a rough 4 X 4 goat track with several stream crossings that are impassible if it rains. Needless to say i don't play with him that often, but always find it a challenge in all ways.

What's a choon? (toon + chunder?).

#9 ·
I'd prefer hearing it as improvised, with just the sax and guitar - it sounds like you guys hook up nicely.

What kind of feedback are you looking for? I think it's fun to talk about this stuff, but it's a very personal thing. With somebody you don't know, it's kinda like if they said "Hey, check out this picture of my wife. What do you think?".

#10 ·
well, i like it. i think it's a keeper.
you guys name your tunes well (imo). "darklight" seemed like it fit with what this tune made me think/feel like. feelings may vary with subsequent plays but, the 1st time i heard it, i was reminded of the feeling i've gotten when my mood has lost momentum. kind of a winding down or weary emotion, despite previous activity or present surrounding activity. kind of like everything around is now darkened a few shades.

#11 ·
Thanks Tom and Ten Man. No problem feeding back whatever came through to you. That's the purpose of the exercise. I remember how it felt to me, but have no idea what (if anything) this communicates to anyone else. Technically it's nothing much, and has most of the pitfalls of spontaneous composition, but there was an honesty to the feeling of the thing.

The hooking up you note Tom is partly in my watching the guitarist's hands a lot so that I can sync with his timing and movements. Works sometimes in these situations, especially if there is a distinct mood/feeling and the mode is limited. This guitarist tends to be a modal player which makes it easier to lock in.

Tom, I'm not sure if the guitarist has the original track without embellishment. Can send this to you if you want to hear that.

#13 ·
.... I remember how it felt to me, but have no idea what (if anything) this communicates to anyone else. Technically it's nothing much, and has most of the pitfalls of spontaneous composition, but there was an honesty to the feeling of the thing.
yeah, the more abstract the art, the more variety of interpretation it's gonna get. i don't worry about uniformity of interpretation, or mine being the same as the other guy's. what matters to me is that the tune works for something in my head/heart. that tune worked well. my, or any other listener's interpretation may very well adapt the "pitfalls" (unconsiously) to part of the message/picture. i'd say that i didn't notice any flubs or lackings, and i wouldn't minimize the usefulness and impact of 'technically simple', though it may be a subjective definition. as the creator, you will always be aware of the "shortcomings" of your product, but that doesn't mean that your customer will. maybe that's the disadvantage of being the artisit/creator - the audience/customer may get more value/enjoyment.

ps. if there was any critique from me, it would be that it wasn't long enough. it was easy enough to listen to that it could go 2,3 maybe 4x as long without fatiguing my ears/mind.

... ya know, this makes me think that maybe why jazz has an appeal to me is that it more fits what goes on in my mind. thoughts are seldom perfectly structured and ordered into some squared-off daitonic pattern and timed/sequenced like clockwork. and there are rests (ie: times of technical simplicity).

#15 ·
I liked it very Tom Waits-ish....just waiting for his gravelly voice to cut in, certainly mood music to ponder the drive out too!

Not that I'm any expert, but..... I could imagine after such explorations your old more common ground might just shift up to a different strata and therefore be beneficlal all round........ if you enjoyed playing it well.... I reckon that's the main criteria!

Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.