Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently upgraded my arsenal to a Yamaha 675 soprano and a Yamaha 875 (pre-EX) tenor.

Previously I had a Century soprano (Yanagasawa copy, two necks and all) and a Yani 991 tenor.
The less said about the Century the better. The Yani was very nice, but had small keys and warbling issues for me with most reeds on my mouthpiece. (I had it well serviced, there were no leaks.)
The Yamaha tenor doesn't have that problem, but I do find low notes harder to control on it (ie, honk or nothing).

My current issue is: the new sop is much louder and brighter, and doesn't seem "matched" with the tenor.

I'm currently playing Otto Link 7* metal mouthpieces on both. (Can't name the factory, they both came in gold boxes with black writing, bought about 20 years ago.)

On the tenor I've found that RJS 2H reeds play really well, albeit a tiny bit mellow.
On the soprano, I'm using Hemke 2.5, because they're about the mellowest I know of.

I'm trying to decide whether I should tone down the soprano (while still keeping some or what I call an "oboe-like" quality), or beef up the tenor.
Is there a reed that plays as well as the RJS on a tenor, but a little brighter?
Is there a soprano reed that is mellower than the Hemlke?
Or an edgier mpc for the tenor?
Or a darker mpc for the soprano?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
"Getting "matching" volume and tone on a tenor and soprano.."

Why would you want to do that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would you want to do that?
Well, perhaps because to my personal sense of aesthetics, I would prefer a tenor-soprano relationship where the tenor is more beefy and the soprano is less brash. We probably don't need to get too esoteric. I was simply wondering if anyone else, more experienced than I, had noticed that two 7* metal Links, on two Yamaha horns (though different series), exhibited such contrasting tones and volumes.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,687 Posts
...the tenor is more beefy and the soprano is less brash.
Well I can certainly understand going for these goals, but I don't see how that translates to a "matching" volume & tone on tenor and soprano. I guess I'm taking your title statement ("matching") too literally. I find soprano and tenor saxophone to be VERY different instruments, even if they are both saxophones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Rico Royales 2.5 or 3s, probably the 3s, on tenor, will play a bit brighter than the RJS, at least in my experience. (I quit on Hemke's a while ago cause they just died really, really fast on me and squeaked continuously. They might have been too soft but RRs have really settled in for me so I've not experimented with Hemkes any more.)

Or, just try going down a strength on the RJS. 2H are about what, 2.75 in a Rico Royale. Try a 2M (~2.5), perhaps that would brighten up the 7* STM just enough for you.

I've no experience to share with the soprano. However, I've not read much about STMs working that well on any soprano. There seems to be better mpcs of choice for most players on the sop.

Otherwise MyMartinTenor has pretty much nailed it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
3,292 Posts
I've not read much about STMs working that well on any soprano. There seems to be better mpcs of choice for most players on the sop.
Nah, STMs can be hot on soprano. Of course, it depends on horn, reed, player, and whether the STM itself is reasonably faced, etc. But yeah, they can work wonderfully. Played on one myself for quite a while.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,484 Posts
Nah, STMs can be hot on soprano. Of course, it depends on horn, reed, player, and whether the STM itself is reasonably faced, etc. But yeah, they can work wonderfully. Played on one myself for quite a while.
Cool! I have read a few positives but not many. That's why I did try to qualify my post a bit. Soo many variables to take into consideration with this axe! More art than science, imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts