Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a clarinet and mouthpiece at SotW some time ago. The mouthpiece was chipped in shipment - bounced hard enough in the case that the tip of the mouthpiece hit the upper ring of the bell. Doesn't sound like much until we say "O'Brien 4" crystal mouthpiece and "shattered". :(

How might I acquire estimates from reputable sources that I may submit to the US Postal department for partial compensation?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I don't know in the States but here you can normally go to a reputable shop or technician or auction house and ask for an appraisal. They would normally charge a fee for it but it is not necessarily so.... .

Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have anyone local that I consider an expert on vintage clarinet mouthpieces. Still, your comment suggests to me that I ask the questions of my local music store before I pass judgment. They may surprise me.

Thank you.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
you are welcome..
it is not so much an expert that you need but rather someone with an official position to appraise the goods which were broken.....

I was a photographer for many years when I moved to the Netherlands I had my equipment appraised by a reputable shop.....for some things there were no reference new prices or second hand ones, so, they asked me how much I wanted it to be worth it......I wrote a list they put a stamp and signed and chashed a 3% fee on the total sum......

Registered
I have found that local shops are usually willing to do an appraisal even if they have no experience whatsoever with that which is being appraised. Said shops will usually give you a completely made up estimate or will ask you what it should be worth and ok it.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
George,
I'd guess that the Mouthpiece guys would be a good place.

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
See if you can find some ads (eBay or otherwise) that have similar pieces for sale. Three of them should do the trick.

Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, for your suggestions. I've one appraisal on its way. I'll see whether it is sufficient and get back to you with the outcome.

Registered
Dr. G, You may want to contact several of the mouthpiece guys on here. I'm not sure which are clarinet guys but I would suggest you pm "Gwindplayer" and see if he can help you. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts