Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i am a freshman who was wondering what was the best way to get a scholarship for bari sax. Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
1. Double on bassoon.
2. Be a killer alto or tenor player and once you get the scholarship, politely ask if you may play bari sax instead of alto.

Sorry, DChalo, not to be a bummer, but from my experience, schools have little need for great bari players. When it comes time to dole out the cash, they need the strong players in spots that will make their bands stronger. Scholarship players are usually put where their talents will be most publicly featured- on lead parts. Work up the standard rep on alto or tenor and go from there. Sax scholarships are hard enough to get, don't limit your options by sticking to bari; the hard repertoire is in sop, alto, tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Hey, i am a freshman who was wondering what was the best way to get a scholarship for bari sax. Thanks
It depends on where you are from. At many colleges, you can just go to someone in the band program and ask the same question and they will tell you. A lot of colleges have marching band scholarships that are fairly easy to get if you can play well. I know several mediocre young players that had band scholarships for four years. But it's hard work with very little glory. So it's more of a job instead of a gravy train.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Have good grades, have a finacial need, pick a school that has a need for sax players, don't rule out small schools, try a community college for the first two years.
What state are you located in?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Depends on jazz/classical and too many other factors. If you're doing performance, many schools will give out scholarships for the best musicians no matter what they play. I don't see bari being any more difficult to get a scholarship on than tenor. There are far fewer fine bari players than alto/tenor anyway.

Good grades is a must and if you're not poor don't get your hopes up because even being middle-class these days means that you are "in theory" able to afford college. Again, it depends on what type of school you apply to. If you have good grades you will have a much easier time getting an academic scholarship than one for music. Are you thinking large state school, Ivy League or music school?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
In addition to doubling bassoon, it also wouldn't hurt to be a killer clarinet/bass clarinet player. That makes you attractive to the orchestra, too.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
Well if it makes any difference, i play bass guitar too. Is learning bassoon hard?
Yes, as are most worthwhile things.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,035 Posts
Probably. There is always the military bands which pay you, house you and feed you AND pay for your college. Air Force ceremonial band usually likes a band and combo player.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Go to UNT camps in the summers. Practice what they tell you to and you'll be scholarship material, no problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts